Why are they not laying

jeanne1

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 5, 2009
My chickens are 16 months old and I am lucky to get 5 eggs a day out of 14 chickens.
sad.png
Some of the are missing feathers, I know this is normal but they have been doing this since March. What can I do to help them? Also, is it OK to give them table scraps. Thanks for your help

I suspect they are molting. Many things can cause that and sometimes molts can last for several months. Often it is the days getting shorter in the fall but not always. If you are in the southern hemisphere, I'd really expect it to be molting. When they molt they greatly reduce laying and spend their energy growing new feathers. These links may help you.

Mississippi State describes molting
http://msucares.com/poultry/management/poultry_feathers.html

Kansas State feather loss
http://www.ksre.ksu.edu/library/lvstk2/mf2308.pdf

Table scraps are fine. Just don't give them too much. They need a balanced diet which they get from their regular feed. If they can clean up the table scraps you give them in 15 to 20 minutes, they are fine.

Good luck!!!

Editted to add

If it is not molting, a drop in egg production usually means they are hiding them from you or something is eating them, usually an egg eating chicken but it could be a predator.

Last edited:
What else are you feeding them? I also think molting unless you have a super ROOOOOO! LOL

I know giving them soybeans will have them laying like crazy.......... Eneime bens are soybeans and you can find them in the freezer section at the food store. steam them good cause beans must ALWAYS be cooked to be safe for chickens!

Best of luck.................

Thank you both very much. I guess I didn't think that chickens can molt for 3 months. The table scraps are gone in 5 minutes and if I don't have them in my hand when I let them out in the morning they are very put out:lol:. I live in Montana and our spring and summer so far has been odd. Cold for a week and then hot , I suppose that could be effecting them as well.

Back
Top Bottom