Why are they peeping so much?

FluffyColor

Crowing
12 Years
May 31, 2009
Queens, NY
My two chicks are being really noisy all time!!1 Why???

Also, they STINK really badly, even though I cleaned the brooder out two days ago!

Please help, if they keep doing this, I'll have to get rid of them!

Generally, chicks peep because they're too hot, too cold, or hungry. How old are your chicks? What temperature is your brooder?

As far as the smell, I can't imagine TWO chicks stinking after only two days. What are the dimensions of your brooder? Have they spilled their water? There should be no problem keeping their brooder clean and relatively odor free.
hmm.png

Mine were loud for a few days, then most quieted down. I have had a whiner in each batch though, who never shuts up. Last time it was a barred rock, this tim a partridge cochin. Both cockerals.
Usually all the chicks will peep quietly, but they will get loud if they need something.

The pullets are 2 months old and in a 2ft x 1ft brooder?

Hm. By now, they should be out of the brooder and into some running around space unless they are meaties and then they are probably ready for the freezer.
Day old chick temp is 95 degrees then dropping 5 degrees by week so at this point, the lamp should only be on when its below 60 degrees and if you are in NY, you probably are below that some nights.

I keep my chickens in 4x4 pens and only put 2 standard birds or 4 bantams in a pen that size.
Try giving your peeps more room...lots more
wink.png

Bet they quiet right down.

Happy Chickening!

Quote:
Holy cow, at 2 months my chicks aren't chicks anymore -- they're BIG! And in a 1'x2' box, with space taken up with a feeder and waterer, I'm surprised they can even move. No wonder they stink!!

My 2 month old "chicks" are out in the barn in a 12'x12' stall and have no heat lamp whatsoever.

Get them outside in a pen or free range them -- they're going to be psychotic if you keep them in that tiny space.

Back
Top Bottom