Why are they so LOUD?

Andora

Songster
11 Years
Aug 26, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
I've had chickens for several years. For some reason this spring they are loud. It just started this past week when it warmed up outside.

Not just a little loud. I'm talking constant screaming, bawking, dolphin noises. I can hear it in my house with the doors and windows closed. It's so incredibly annoying, and they will not stop! I live in a suburb. It's only a matter of time before someone complains.

They aren't scared of anything, that's not why they're making so much noise. It's like the egg song times a million. All 30 of them at once, over and over all day.

They woke me up this morning at 6:30 making noise. Even my female duck was honk-quacking at the top of her lungs. (They were all still cooped.) I'm sure they woke up the neighbors too.

This is a video of my ducks mating in their pool, but in the background you can hear a couple of the chickens making some of their extremely loud non-stop noises.

They have never, ever made this much non-stop noise before. I don't know what to do! Help! I'm sure my neighbors are going to be placing complaints any second.
sad.png

I can distract them with treats, but they just start up again as soon as they finish eating...

I want to cry. I can't believe they are so loud. I have the windows and doors closed, their coop is pretty far from my back door, and I can still hear them loud and clear right now. My head hurts.

Last edited:
It's really funny you should say this, I was telling my husband 2 days ago about how loud my birds were being(I'm blessed to live in a rural area, so that isn't a problem). I really don't know what's going on-spring fever, maybe?
Mine all seem fine, free ranging, eating well...just loud.
I'll be curious to see what kind of responses you get.

I'm not sure if it's reassuring that it's not just mine, or depressing.
lol.png

I know they were not this loud last spring! Mine are all healthy too and they have lots of space to range around my yard. They don't seem bored or anything.

I was surprised to see that egg laying was painful to the young hens.
They seem to push in cycles just like a human in labor until the thing is out and they do this almsot every day this was distressing to discover - let me tell you...
sad.png
I'm hoping it gets easier after a while.

Some Vaseline was prescribed here when I asked about the pain of 'eggbirth' - and it seemed to help a lot!

We have two young hens who seem do be loud when they are laying an egg - not the layer, but the friend will pace back and forth near the coop and complain loudly... Just guessing, maybe she worries about her buddy? When we removed two young roosters (can't have them here in town), the hen was crying and worrying as soon as we took them away. I'm guessing that they care very much about having their place in a flock.

The roos are OK, they went to the man who makes and sells coops and who 'rescues' birds people don't want. They roam freely at his place. They sleep in a walnut tree next to his shop... He has 6 Roos now...

Last edited:
My 2 BA's are like this...AND they dont stop until one of us opens up the pen for them to range. God forbid we dont open it up soon enough because the whole neighborhood knows about it then.

My EE's on the other hand, quiet as little mice. If my BA's werent such good layers I'd be rehoming them quickly. Until then I bribe off my neighbors with eggs
smile.png

ETA: I keep their coop dark and locked up until we are ready to wake them up--this way we arent woken up by their indignant screams at 6am demanding "OUT!" Is there any way for you to keep them sleeping until after you've had a cup--or 2--of coffee?

Last edited:
I have the same problem with one of my BRs (I only have two hens), she will cackle while the other hen is in the nesting box in the coop, carrys on for ~ 30 mins! At 6:30am!

I have tried different things, none how worked except for if I left her out and I don't want her roaming around by herself in the early morning.

I have now just added some green tarp over their openings in their coop, it is still cool enough and they have enough ventilation so I will see if this works.

Heh..........my chickens are pretty noisy all the time. Sounds like recess at a girl's school!
gig.gif

They only shut up if I bring them something to eat, but I can't do that 80 times a day sooo............
D.gif

They love to party!

(no, there is nothing wrong with them, they are healthy happy birds with no worries)

Robin'sBrood :

Andora, do you have a rooster? If not, maybe they are calling for a mate.
idunno.gif

I have three roosters!! One never crows and none of the hens will let him mate them, one only crows a couple times a day (he's the head roo), and one is a crazy little bantam who is always causing trouble--he's looking for a new home!

I think the bantam rooster is part of the problem. Every time the hens sing their egg song the bantam rooster starts ba-gawking like a hawk is out there, which starts them all doing that, and it's incredibly loud. I locked him in a box inside after I posted this morning and they weren't very loud at all for the rest of the day!​

Quote:
Can you just go to your neighbors and let them know that you are working on it and are not going to just let them keep being loud? I'd imagine they'd be much more patient knowing that you aren't just planning to have a racket 24/7, yk?

Back
Top Bottom