Why arent my ducks laying

Does a drake help them lay more?
It would depend on your ratio of ducks to drakes. If you have too many drakes and not enough ducks then that could stress them out from over mating. I have 5 drakes and 9 hens but 4 are small call drakes and the other one is a Rouen/Mallard drake. My one Mallard's head was getting bare as she is his favorite but now she and her sister are sitting on a large clutch of eggs and separated from the rest by netting so she is getting a break from him. Mine have been laying ever since we had our really warm spell but now it is going to be 29 degrees F tonight. I still got 3 eggs today from my Muscovy and Khaki Campbells. Good luck and I hope yours start laying soon. Mine get fed layer feed along with some scratch grains and all flock and stay really healthy and do well.

It would depend on your ratio of ducks to drakes. If you have too many drakes and not enough ducks then that could stress them out from over mating. I have 5 drakes and 9 hens but 4 are small call drakes and the other one is a Rouen/Mallard drake. My one Mallard's head was getting bare as she is his favorite but now she and her sister are sitting on a large clutch of eggs and separated from the rest by netting so she is getting a break from him. Mine have been laying ever since we had our really warm spell but now it is going to be 29 degrees F tonight. I still got 3 eggs today from my Muscovy and Khaki Campbells. Good luck and I hope yours start laying soon. Mine get fed layer feed along with some scratch grains and all flock and stay really healthy and do well.
Thank you! We currently have no drake. 7 hens. We got our first egg the other day and today is our 4th day of getting an egg. Still waiting for the rest of the ladies to pay some rent lol

Attachments

• 61F2DD8F-5771-4099-B86D-75DE23A12731.jpeg
    61F2DD8F-5771-4099-B86D-75DE23A12731.jpeg
    334.1 KB · Views: 2
Thank you! We currently have no drake. 7 hens. We got our first egg the other day and today is our 4th day of getting an egg. Still waiting for the rest of the ladies to pay some rent lol
You are most welcome. I still don't know who is laying what in my pen. I have the 2 Khaki Campbell and 2 Muscovy and they are about a year old now. I think my Rouen Hens are too old as they are about 6 and my Mule can't lay they say so since my Mallards lay greenish eggs and are sitting now the others have got to be coming from somebody! lol I usually get 4 white ones a day but today only got 3. It was cold though so someone might have decided not to.

Back
Top Bottom