Why aren't my eggs very big?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Raen, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Raen

Raen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Missouri
    I have three hens laying right now (and a bunch of pullets that should start in the next few weeks). The hens are about 2.5 years old, one is a salmon favorolles, one is a red star, and one is a BO. The hens are on Layena pellets, but free range all day most days. The eggs are perfect, but they're not terribly big, I'd call most "small" in grocery store sizes. What's up with that? The eggs I get from the farmers market are about twice the size of the ones my girls lay, although that seems to be mostly due to more whites, not bigger yolks.

2. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Hummm I want to know too...all bump.

3. helen8_11

helen8_11 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2009
    Soquel, California
    I have the same problem... Normal sized chickens with small eggs... It's a bit annoying... No idea why though!

4. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I have some Americanas that lay large blue eggs and some that lay small, hmmm... Maybe it's genetics [​IMG]

5. 202roosterlane

202roosterlane Happy Hen on a Harley

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    I have often wondered that too. Same hen, same rooster. For example, RIRs. First day, Extra large egg. Next 3 medium, little lighter in color, next 3 little smaller same light color, but then BAM a Larger darker in color egg. It must be diet, heat, stress.....something. I did put them in the bator. It will be interesting to see if size of egg makes any difference in if it hatches, if it's healthy, and so on. But from reading several posts on here, it's all just what ever happens will happen. I think we just provide the best food and environment possible maybe it will all turn out okay. I'll let you know in 11 more days [​IMG]

6. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Egg size is dependent on a number of factors; breed, nutrition, weight of hen at onset of lay. Were your hens early layers? Birds that are small when they start laying generally produce smaller eggs though the rest of their life and the opposite for heavier birds...

7. Raen

Nov 3, 2010
    Missouri
    I got them when they were a year and a half old already, not sure when they started laying. Thanks for all the replies.

8. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    My EEs were the first to lay and their eggs are generally larger than my Orpingtons, who started a little later. My largest EE, Rosie, lays enormous eggs and almost every day! I also have a small EE that lays some pretty decent sized ones and just as often.

So, all that said, I'm going to breed Rosie with a big Ameraucana rooster and hope for the best pullets in the next generation. I'm not going to waste anymore time with new Orpingtons because although they are big and pretty, the eggs just aren't that big or frequent.

Lisa

9. Raen

Nov 3, 2010
    Missouri
    My BO is an extremely consistent later, both she and my SF lay almost every day. I really like both of them, they're nice chickens.

10. Okie Amazon

Okie Amazon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Midwest City
    My BOs lay large eggs, occasionally one will even lay a HUGE one! (I have had to put some Preparation H on her after that, too.) It was obviously hard on her!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by