Why aren't my guineas laying?

CurlyLindsay

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 28, 2009
MO
I bought a trio of year-old guineas a few weeks ago. Per the advice I got here, I have them confined in a giant-breed dog crate (4' x 5' on it's side) until they have time to decide this us "home".

I figured having adult females (I'm sure, I hear the female call) and this being springtime I'd find some eggs- but nothing. What gives? Are they too stressed out by their living situation? Do I need to put some kind of better nesting material in there? (they have deep hay bedding)

When I moved my pheasants to their much larger pen, they stopped laying for 2 months. They may just need a little more time to get adjusted.

You may need to "make" a secluded place for them in their pen (if that's where you're keeping them) A hiding place, so to speak.

Any suggestions how to do that? Do they need a nesting box? Are they bothered if they cannot roost?

Their cage is 5ft deep, 4ft wide (so 20 sq foot of floor space) but only 3ft high, and on the ground, so I cannot do roosts.
hmm.png

I'm afraid to lock them up in the coop with the other birds (about 7 week old ducks, guineas, and chickens) as the adult guineas are sooooo much bigger.

Back
Top Bottom