WHY aren't my hens laying???

jeannieo

Songster
11 Years
Oct 25, 2008
Collinsville, CT
I am new to this. I got a full grown flock of eight hens last Sept. 2 of them older and non laying. I was getting anywhere from 4-6 eggs a day. Then it got cold and I was getting 0-1 a day which I understand is normal. then in January they started up again, averaging about 4 a day. Then around the middle of Feb. they slowed down again and are now averaging about 2 a day. I also have acquired 3 young bantams, 2 cochins and a "hybrid"
wink.png
. Right now when there are eggs, there's usually a tiny egg from one of the cochins and a blue egg from an araucana. I don't get it. the weather is nice, they have access to the outside in a good sized enclosed pen. the only thing I can think of is, would they be not laying because I haven't cleaned out the winter poop and shavings? I used the deep litter method, it worked out good for me. I haven't read anything about dirty coops causing chickies to not lay. I'm stumped!
idunno.gif

Wow! thank you so much! that is a great site! I think I give them too much people food. they have the layer pellets but I don't think they are eating enough of them. so no more goodies! (or rather a drastic decline!)
bow.gif

Back
Top Bottom