Why aren't my White Leghorns laying yet?

Ch1ckenL0ver0707

In the Brooder
Jun 19, 2017
I have 4 White Leghorns and they are all each 5-6 months old but they are not laying yet. I read on here that they start laying around 4 months. Am I doing something wrong? They always have a food and water, they roam outside of their run, they get scratch grains and crickets. I only put them in their run when they are about to roost. I also have 19 other chickens. Is that the problem? I would gladly like to know. Thank-you!

Their combs are starting to turn red and they are laying in the nesting boxes a lot. I guess this means they are starting to get ready, Thank-you so much for the help!

Pullets usually start laying at 18 to 22 weeks of age. When your birds near laying age their faces will plump up, and turn a bright strawberry red. In fact the flesh on her face will have little bumps much like a ripe strawberry does.

Lose the scratch feed and reserve it for getting your birds back into their coop or run. Instead feed a good quality laying pellet.

Last edited:
Thank-you so much! I never noticed that their faces pumped up and their faces get really red. Now that I notice that, I realize that some of my other chickens are about to lay. Thank-you for letting my know!

My chickens didn't start laying until they were 6 months old. My suggestion, make sure they are eating laying pellets, or you are giving enough calcium. We used to bake the old egg shells, and crush them and then put that back in their food.
Otherwise mother nature will handle it for you. They will lay when ready.

Back
Top Bottom