Why buy chicks?

Col1948

Songster
Sep 9, 2018
Manchester UK
I keep seeing threads/posts where people say they bought chicks and so many of them turned out to be cockerels and then they say they can't have them and then try to re- home them.

Now if your hen lays eggs and you let them hatch well that is different I'm more on about buying chicks, I knew I didn't want a cockerel because I couldn't have one where I live so I bought young pullets.
I'm curious as why more don't buy just pullets knowing they are pullets and not gambling that none are going to be a cockerel.

I know it's your choice and I'm not have a go at you I'm just curious.

I keep seeing threads/posts where people say they bought chicks and so many of them turned out to be cockerels and then they say they can't have them and then try to re- home them.

Now if your hen lays eggs and you let them hatch well that is different I'm more on about buying chicks, I knew I didn't want a cockerel because I couldn't have one where I live so I bought young pullets.
I'm curious as why more don't buy just pullets knowing they are pullets and not gambling that none are going to be a cockerel.

I know it's your choice and I'm not have a go at you I'm just curious.
Because babies are cute.
Because I like to watch them grow up.
Because it's less expensive upfront.
Because I don't care all that much about unexpected roos.

Well, sexing chicks is only about 90% accurate at best, so even if you pay the extra money for pullets, you can still end up with a few cockerels.

But, why get straight run? Well, some folks might be starting out and not know what that means. Or, maybe they only need a few chicks and getting a batch shipped from a hatchery is more expensive than picking up some extras locally and hoping. Local stores may only have straight run, or have gotten straight run mixed up with pullets or put in the wrong brooder. Some chicks, like bantams, aren't routinely sexed because they're too delicate.

I know the chicks at the store can be awfully tempting at the store because they're so cute or a fun variety even when we really don't need more chickens!

Thanks for the replies, like I said I wasn't having a go, just curious.
I bought my pullets from a farm not too far away, he was advertising them as 'point of lay' when I got there he had a large flock with a few Cockerels and Roosters, I said I just wanted Pullets, I picked different breeds so the grandkids could name them plus i could tell them apart lol.
He just went up and grabbed the ones I wanted, I'll be honest if he had picked a cockerel I wouldn't have known.

Back
Top Bottom