why can't ducks eat medicated chick feed?

stargazingmommy

Songster
9 Years
Apr 19, 2011
Spokane
I can't keep them out of it since they are housed together. They do have duck food, but prefer the chick starter (that or just want the chicks to get less).
I didn't realize it was medicated until someone told me that's all this store sells(it doesn't say on the bag, it's the aslin finch stuff)

It's a current myth. The old meds were arsenic-based and waterfowl have a lower tolerance for arsenic than gallinaceous birds. Amprolium is a thiamin blocker....minimizes cocci reproduction, but is not toxic to ducks. The internet is a great place for furthering past problems.

Clint

Duckies have been munching chick feed 4 wks now and one is huge and snotty the other is fairly thin and shy(a runner ). I'm not going to stress over it anymore ands just let them be.

Last edited:
I don't know if it's debated, as much as misunderstood. It is absolutely true that medicated feed USED to be toxic to ducks. Since then, they have changed the medication in the feed to Amprolium so that it is safe now for ducks. As safe as any other medication that would be prescribed or purchased for a duck.

That being said, I think most peoples reasons for still not using medicated feed, is not that they CAN'T have it, but more that they choose not to medicate preemptively. Some people don't want to medicate their animals unless needed. An understandable point of view. Also, ducks, just like people, can develop resistance to medications. So there are several things to take into considering when choosing medicated or non medicated. Either way, medicated feed should not harm your duck.

Quote:
I realize this is debated. Many people use the new medicated feed with no issues. Personally, I would much prefer to err on the side of a caution.

Also, Amprolium is not approved for use in waterfowl, so it's definitely a "use at your own risk" situation:

http://members.fcec.cc/store/downloads/flock raiser.pdf

I have always fed my ducks the medicated, never had any problems. Why risk cocci? especially when the greater majority of this forum who have raised large quantity's of birds have always/and always will use medicated with no problems either?

Last edited:
Is that really true? Because I've never dealt with ducks before and I've been feeding them medicated chick starter feed and I would just hate myself forever if they died.

Back
Top Bottom