why chickens die

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicks4love, Dec 13, 2013.

1. chicks4love

chicks4love New Egg

Dec 13, 2013
    I am a first time chicken owner. I have 3 Buff Orpingtons, 3 black sexlinks, and 3 Light Brahmas. They were hatched may 1st and I have raised them since. They all are hens and have been laying for about 6 weeks now. This morning when I went to collect eggs, one of the Buff Orppingtons was dead. It appeared that it had happened not long before I got there. Her body was still warm. She had no injuries on her body. I was wondering if she had a heart attack or something similar. Can she have gotten startled and fly into a wall? Can someone maybe give me a clue?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG]
    Chickens do have heart attacks. Generally when this happens their combs and wattles will be darkened in coloration. Also a broken neck due to fright and flight injury is possible. At one time I raised ring neck pheasants and lost birds to 'fright crashes'.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Birds can die suddenly from many things, including heart attacks, being egg bound, injuring themselves on something, or having some internal problem. Without a necropsy, you will often never knew for sure what went wrong; however, even with a necropsy, the cause of death is often vague. As long as no more of your chickens start dying, this is probably just a freak occurrence. Whatever happened, I'm sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2.

Sorry for your loss!

5. chicks4love

chicks4love New Egg

Dec 13, 2013
    Thank you for the replies, it helps alot. I am amazed how attached I have gotten to them. I will let you know how the rest do. Thank you for the replies!.

6. Back Yard Bean

Back Yard Bean New Egg

Dec 12, 2013
    Aww! How sad :(

It seems whenever we lose one of our birds/animals/pets, I'm the one to discover it.

Hope your other girls are OK....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by