Why compartments in the nest box?

If they're in one big box with no compartments, it won't feel as safe and cozy, and it also doesn't really maximize space because if they were all laying at once, they're more likely to sit in a random spot that doesn't leave space for others.
1619026573320.png

If they're in one big box with no compartments, it won't feel as safe and cozy, and it also doesn't really maximize space because if they were all laying at once, they're more likely to sit in a random spot that doesn't leave space for others.
View attachment 2628456
but the end up climbing into the same compartments and fighting over it... territorial little girls...

I feel like I should make them your drawing on a big blackboard in the coop and stand there with a teacher's costume and explain it to them.

'chicken A goes into box A, then...'

Interesting question. First everybody doesn't have compartments. Some people use what is called a community nest box. One design I've seen is 24" wide and 48" long. It has a hinged top which is where you gather the eggs and holes in each end. Some people use these when they have a bunch of hens laying. One this size is supposed to handle 24 hens. I've never used one so I don't have any personal experience with those.
What are your nests used for? An area without compartments would not be very good for a broody hen. Her eggs need to stay in a compact group. So do her chicks when they hatch. Since I let hens hatch in my nests they need to be compartmentalized.

When I was a kid one of my chores was to collect eggs. Most were laid in a hen house in individual nests. Those nests did have dividers but no tops so they were fairly bright. But some hens would hide nests, especially in a hay barn. Most of those nests were in fairly tight spots. But occasionally a hen would make a nest out in the open. Not all hens like a closed spot. But I think most do.

Most of mine don't mind sharing. My nests are 16" x 16" x16". It's pretty common to find three hens in the same nest laying while other nests are empty. I have had a nest hog where one hen would not share a nest at all. Each hen is different.

I don't know what your nests look like or any of that. If you want to remove some separators so it is one big nest go for it. Some people on here have done that and it worked out OK. I'm not sure what you hope to gain, but there is nothing to stop you trying. It might work fine.

@Ridgerunner , You are correct that is called a tunnel nest . The one I have prints for is 8' long 24" wide 16" high ,opens on three sides and has hardware loth on the front side and the top should be covered . The nest serves 100 hens according to the Ohio Agricultural Experiment Station

Some say hens are more likely to bresk eggs in community nests gettin past each other to where they want to lay but I think the examples I've seen were a big square nest for a lot of hens.
The other reason I've seen is that a broody hen or bossy hen defending her nesting space - in divided nests that is 12" or 16" and other hens can still lay in a nest but in a smallish community nest it can be the whole thing.

I like divided nests, with one fake egg in each one to 'spread the love'.
I did this too but then caught 2 hens fighting over same box :rolleyes:
I ended up making 2 long boxes with straw in them and made 2 'bowls' in the straw and they were all happy. But one hen would steal the Fake egg and put it in her bowl lol
I then stopped the fake eggs.

Back
Top Bottom