Why culling isn't always a bad thing

It's the hard part. :hugs@JacinLarkwell
Yeah, we felt awful. The worst part too is that we won't eat any that we don't actively butcher, and since she was dead when we got to the housr, we couldn't use her for anything more than learning. If we had culled from the het go, she would have at least been put to use

Yeah, we felt awful. The worst part too is that we won't eat any that we don't actively butcher, and since she was dead when we got to the housr, we couldn't use her for anything more than learning. If we had culled from the het go, she would have at least been put to use
You don't have to eat them. Sometimes they can just go back to nature.

I grew up on a farm where culling livestock was normal. The thing about on here is some people are raising pets and not livestock. They simply get too attached to the animal, try to give animals human emotions and thought processes, or worry about their feelings over the well being/health of the animal.
I agree, I do love my chickens and treat them like pets but at the end of the day if one needs to be culled, I don't think twice about it.

You don't have to eat them. Sometimes they can just go back to nature.
I personally consider that wasteful. I know you don't have to And know lots of people do that just fine, but I do try to use them as full as possible without being cruel to the animal (like I won't raise a deformed chick long enough to process if it's obviously in pain, but if it's doing fine then I will).

I grew up on a farm where culling livestock was normal. The thing about on here is some people are raising pets and not livestock. They simply get too attached to the animal, try to give animals human emotions and thought processes, or worry about their feelings over the well being/health of the animal.
And I'll fully admit I'm guilty of this more often than not. Hence why she stuck around 8 months after the problem started. I'm still working on realizing not everything can have human perspective attaches fully to it

I personally consider that wasteful. I know you don't have to And know lots of people do that just fine, but I do try to use them as full as possible without being cruel to the animal (like I won't raise a deformed chick long enough to process if it's obviously in pain, but if it's doing fine then I will).
I understand. Something got the nutrients from my butt-heads, just not me.

I agree, I do love my chickens and treat them like pets but at the end of the day if one needs to be culled, I don't think twice about it.

Not gonna say I treat my animals like pets but I do try to make sure they have the best life I can give them while under my care. My great grandma always said never get too attached to something you might have to eat in hard times.

Back
Top Bottom