Why did my 5 month old hen die?!? 😥

J1wrobel

In the Brooder
Aug 9, 2020
I’d like to start by saying that we have a beautiful, large coop with a big fenced in run for the chickens. Lots of space, fresh air, food and clean water. I feel like we’re doing a good job with our chickens and ducks with regards to cleanliness, safety, activities, diet etc. That being said- we’re pretty new to a lot of this.
We have 10 Plymouth barred rocks (one rooster), one white barred rock hen and 4 ducks- 2 Rohans and 2 pekins (we THINK all female).
Ok- here’s the story now: We sat at our patio table and watched our chickens go into their coop last night. Everyone was fine for the most part. Only our white rock is acting funny- she keeps laying down. That’s her only symptom. She seems totally fine otherwise and her comb and waddle look good. Every couple of minutes we find her laying down though. Is it because she’s young and tired from newly laying? Or is something else wrong? She seems pretty dominant and shows no sign of injury.
Anyhow- everyone went to bed just fine. This morning we found a Plymouth Rock dead on the floor of the coop. Only the chickens were in the coop all night- the ducks have a duck house. Her bottom side didn’t look right and that where the blood was. There was also blood and fecal matter all along a roosting shelf (see photo of shelf taken a couple months ago) in the coop. We’re assuming she was dying up on the roosting shelf then fell to the floor upon her death. It is so sad and so tragic and so sudden. Please please offer any insight you have so we can help to protect the rest of our beloved flock!!

Attachments

• 54E6DDA7-000E-4812-BAD0-606CD02682AA.jpeg
    54E6DDA7-000E-4812-BAD0-606CD02682AA.jpeg
    641.5 KB · Views: 11
  • C361777B-F8F7-4F59-8704-FC3BD05FE498.jpeg
    C361777B-F8F7-4F59-8704-FC3BD05FE498.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • 0B1F8AF5-22BA-4CF8-857A-B42E33CA4B47.jpeg
    0B1F8AF5-22BA-4CF8-857A-B42E33CA4B47.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • F9D9848C-BA0F-41FD-A1D7-803B60825703.jpeg
    F9D9848C-BA0F-41FD-A1D7-803B60825703.jpeg
    337 KB · Views: 9
The only way to know for sure is to send the bird to your state poultry diagnostic lab for necropsy. What state are you in? Do you still have the carcass?
If you call them, they'll send a Fed Ex label for shipping the bird.

No offense meant but just a point of clarification. The breed is Plymouth Rock. There are Barred, White, Partridge, Buff, Silver Penciled, Columbian, Blue and perhaps other varieties, but they are all Plymouth Rocks.
Unless there is a cross, there are no white barred PRs.

The only way to know for sure is to send the bird to your state poultry diagnostic lab for necropsy. What state are you in? Do you still have the carcass?
If you call them, they'll send a Fed Ex label for shipping the bird.

No offense meant but just a point of clarification. The breed is Plymouth Rock. There are Barred, White, Partridge, Buff, Silver Penciled, Columbian, Blue and perhaps other varieties, but they are all Plymouth Rocks.
Unless there is a cross, there are no white barred PRs.
Haha oopsie! I did mean White Rock. Her name is Alfredo ☺️.
Any thoughts on why she’s laying down so much this week and last? We’re in Michigan- it’s fairly hot here right now so that couple be a factor, but she’s doing it even during cool evenings.

Haha oopsie! I did mean White Rock. Her name is Alfredo ☺.
Any thoughts on why she’s laying down so much this week and last? We’re in Michigan- it’s fairly hot here right now so that couple be a factor, but she’s doing it even during cool evenings.
Perhaps she has contracted the same thing that killed the other bird.
Be ready to send the carcass in case she dies. You'll want to know if something is moving through your flock.

Michigan State University Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory
College of Veterinary Medicine
4125 Beaumont Rd, Ste 201H
Lansing, Michigan 48910-8103
Phone: 517-353-1683

I think barred rocks are so common that some people think they are a separate breed and not just a variety of Plymouth Rocks.

Be ready to send the carcass in case she dies. You'll want to know if something is moving through your flock.

I think barred rocks are so common that some people think they are a separate breed and not just a variety of Plymouth Rocks.
Do you know the cost for testing? We’d really like to do that. Thanks again so much.

The cost in every state is different.
Some they are free, some they are pricey.
For a complete workup and shipping, it costs me about $100. But I get the bird shipped off and a final workup diagnosis long before I get the first bill.
I raise a rare breed and it is imperative I know exactly why each bird died in case I need to take immediate action.
So far I haven't had anything that was highly pathogenic.

Hi there! I’ve been browsing threads searching for info — my seemingly healthy 8 month old barred rock lady curled up in the corner of the coop and died today. How in the world do I figure out where (if even avail) we could send her for a necropsy? Thank you so much in advance!

Hi there! I’ve been browsing threads searching for info — my seemingly healthy 8 month old barred rock lady curled up in the corner of the coop and died today. How in the world do I figure out where (if even avail) we could send her for a necropsy? Thank you so much in advance!
I would look up a vet diagnosis lab in your state.

What state are you in?
All states and most countries have animal diagnostic labs for the purpose.

Back
Top Bottom