Why did my baby turkey die?

kuroyuri16

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 13, 2012
I just bought a baby turkey and a baby duck three days ago and they were both sharing a cage. They were both doing fine an hour ago but when i came back in the room my baby turkey was having what looked like seizures and laying on its back and he was kicking its legs and twisting its neck all weird. Then it gasped for air and died. WHY?? Is my baby duck at risk as well?

I'm sorry...
hugs.gif
I wish I knew what to tell you, but when they are babies, sometimes they do just die. Do you know for sure if it was eating and drinking ok? Is there a chance that the duckling hurt it? Could the bedding have gotten wet and it got chilled? I don't keep poults or chicks in with ducklings. They are really sloppy with the water and the mess isn't good for the 'dry land' type birds.

Unlike just hatched chickens or ducks, young turkey poults need guidance to help them eat & drink. You have to really work at coaxing them along with food & water until they get the idea of
drinking + eating. The use of marbles in their feed & water to attract them to peck is one option.

The turkey and duck did great together! Slept together, and the duck taught the turkey how to eat. I changed the water regularly in the morning and evening and the turkey even pecked at rocks and other things outside.. I am at a loss of why he died v.v Thank you all for your comments!

My baby turkey is doing that aswell! i brought it inside, i think it was having a heat stroke though. i made it drink water. it drank a lot. and its over an air vent in a box. i need help too. :(

I did not allow my Poults to touch the ground till 8 weeks of age.
At what age are you letting them out side on the ground.
if they are old enough to be on the ground and have shade and water they should be alright unless its just abnormally hot.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom