Why did my Broody hen not hatch any chicks?

Sometimes I have hens that sit too much. They cook the eggs underneath them. It tends to happen more with the new mama's who haven't realized that it's okay to not literally press against their eggs 24/7 to keep them warm. It generally takes those ones 2 or 3 tries before they get a decent hatch at all.
I didn’t know the eggs could become too warm under a hen, is there any way to know that this is happening with the eggs?

That would be great, would be so much help to see if the same happens our eggs. How long does it usually take to tell if this is happening?
I'm not really sure. I think a weekish? I kinda just candle at random, and don't keep records of when each broody starts, but I don't think I see any ever when they first start developing

She’s still broody, tried isolation and moved her back in with the flock and she went straight back to the nest and wouldn’t adopt, got her 2 little chicks that she didn’t take to 🙊 unsure whether to let her try again as it would be a long time if the same thing will happen ?
In any case I would wash her properly to get rid if the greasy stuff that might even contaminate any future chic.

Did she leave the nest every day to eat, drink, dustbathe, preen and poop?
Some broodies need help to get into a proper routine and should be taken off the nest once a day, prefarably at the same time of day.

In any case I would wash her properly to get rid if the greasy stuff that might even contaminate any future chic.

Did she leave the nest every day to eat, drink, dustbathe, preen and poop?
Some broodies need help to get into a proper routine and should be taken off the nest once a day, prefarably at the same time of day.
Didn’t see her leave the nest at all. She must have got up to get food and water though. How would you recommend washing a chicken in regards soap? Do I dry her? All without stressing her out

Didn’t see her leave the nest at all. She must have got up to get food and water though. How would you recommend washing a chicken in regards soap? Do I dry her? All without stressing her out
You could use a plastic tub with warm water and some dish soap or similar. Rinse thoroughly with fresh soapfree water, then dry her well with a towel and blow dryer, but be careful not to burn her.

Prepare a completely new nest as the old one needs proper cleaning and disinfecting before letting any hen lay an egg there.

Do your ducks use the same nests as your chickens ?

Back
Top Bottom