1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

why did my chick die

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mlcrossland, Jun 5, 2016.

1. mlcrossland

mlcrossland Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2016
    So 2 weeks ago we got 2 polish chicks at orchlens we didn't put them in with the adults because they are to litte. We let them and all the other birds out 3 or 4 times to free range but since they had never seen them before they stayed away frome the big birds and yesterday they acted just fine but this morning we where running late for church so we where rushing to go and I looked in there litter cage in the garage and one just didn't look right and when we got back she was dead. I noticed a couple of days ago that they a little blood in there poop and the living chick still has blood in her poop. Can we get the living chick a friend she is so confused as to where her friend went. I feel so bad for her.

2. jennyf

jennyf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2016
    Missouri
    Blood in poop can be a symptom of coccidiosis. Definitely need to treat your remaining chick before introducing another.

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Sounds like Coccidiosis. You will need to treat with Corid which can be found at your local feed store.

Dosage for Cocci is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon
    Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

Give some probiotics or plain yogurt, and some poultry vitamins when they finish the Corid.

Poor thing she is lonely. You can try giving her a stuffed animal to snuggle with and put a mirror in the brooder so she can see herself until you decide if you can find her a buddy or two.

4. mlcrossland

mlcrossland Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2016
    Thanks for the information the chick is doing great and we got her a friend i noticed a huge difference after the first day of using corid.

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Thank you for the update!
    I'm glad she is doing well and she has a friend.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by