why did my chick die

mlcrossland

In the Brooder
Jan 3, 2016
So 2 weeks ago we got 2 polish chicks at orchlens we didn't put them in with the adults because they are to litte. We let them and all the other birds out 3 or 4 times to free range but since they had never seen them before they stayed away frome the big birds and yesterday they acted just fine but this morning we where running late for church so we where rushing to go and I looked in there litter cage in the garage and one just didn't look right and when we got back she was dead. I noticed a couple of days ago that they a little blood in there poop and the living chick still has blood in her poop. Can we get the living chick a friend she is so confused as to where her friend went. I feel so bad for her.

Blood in poop can be a symptom of coccidiosis. Definitely need to treat your remaining chick before introducing another.

Sounds like Coccidiosis. You will need to treat with Corid which can be found at your local feed store.

Dosage for Cocci is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon
Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

Give some probiotics or plain yogurt, and some poultry vitamins when they finish the Corid.

Poor thing she is lonely. You can try giving her a stuffed animal to snuggle with and put a mirror in the brooder so she can see herself until you decide if you can find her a buddy or two.

Thanks for the information the chick is doing great and we got her a friend i noticed a huge difference after the first day of using corid.

Back
Top Bottom