Why did my Chicken die?

I took Chicken Little's body the University of Connecticut for a necropsy today. It is a free service for CT residents.

I'll keep everyone posted on what they tell us.

She was an Ameraucana chicken about 10-12 months old. UCONN told us that the autopsy showed that she had fatty liver disease.

In the autopsy, they basically said that she needed to eat less and exercise more. Hmmm. I've heard that before...

I don't really understand it since she has been roaming free more often than not, except during the winter. Her henhouse/yard was built much larger than most people recommended. We gave her standard layer feed as sold at my local feed store.

I am just glad that it has nothing to do with my neighbor as the neighborhood is already at war. We were concerned that Chicken Little had been poisoned since my neighbor told my daughter that he'd shoot her cat a couple of years ago. I was afraid that he'd put something out since the chickens have occasionally jumped the fence into their yard. Or that the chicken had gotten something from their lawn treatments.

I'm not sure what to do with the remaining chickens (5) to be sure that they don't get the same thing.

Thanks for the suggestions and support from the people who have replied. I really appreciate it!!

Fatty liver disease. Hmmm, it sounds like that may have been something this chicken was just genetically inclined to develop. I don't think you have to worry about the others.

Sorry about your nasty neighbors. Neighbor peace is more important than family peace, IMO. I have been blessed with live-and-let-live neighbors all around.

we just had a hen die earlier today. it was a rhode island red. the rooster and other 4 hens seem fine. we tried feeling its belly for a lump to see if it was eggbound, but her body was really stiff. does anyone know what she might have died from? i heard sometimes if the hen is eggbound, the egg might break inside, infecting the chicken..?? we also tried looking online for some main causes of chickens to die, but nothing really comes up. just want to make sure the rest of our flock is safe. any replies will help. sorry for everyone elses losses too.. it is hard to see one of your loving chickens to pass so suddenly..

We just lost a young roo this morning. :( Benedict was about 5-6 weeks old and seemed just fine yesterday, but this morning he was lying stiff in the little spot behind the nesting boxes where he likes to hide. He was from a small brood of day-old bamtams we got at Tractor Supply. So far 3 of the 6 chicks we got haven't made it. The other two were silkie bamtams and passed within the first week! Benedict didn't seem to have anything wrong with him and he was the fastest growing, most brazen of the bunch. His neck felt a little strange like it might've been broken but he was already stiff by the time I found him this morning. Hope we don't lose any of the others. :(

Last edited:
Has anyone else had problems with Tractor Supply chicks? We got them from the Martinsburg, WV location.
I've never purchased chicks from Tractor Supply because....honestly....I'm afraid to! I've been in several of their stores and seen the tubs of chicks with empty waterers,heat lamps not on,dead chicks laying around in the tubs...just very poor conditions in general. Add to that the stress and trauma of being chased around the tub by untrained store employees trying to catch them and it's a recipe for disaster! Tractor Supply even made matters worse when they started the new labeling system. "Brown Egg-layers". "Red Sex Links", "Assorted Bantams"....come on people! If they can't even sort and label the chicks better than that! I want to know EXACTLY what breed I'm getting!

I've found it far better to order my chicks from Mt Healthy Hatchery in Ohio. I've never recieved a dead chick from them or had any problem with their chicks. I've never even had to deal with "pasty butt" on Mt Healthys chicks!

i walked out this mid morning to find my roo dead and there was no puncher holes or nothing what could of caused this ? confused now my naughty hen has been going to the babys that i have and they are scared cause she would peck them if they came out but now she is by herself ,will this make her less aggressive towards the others now?

Back
Top Bottom