Why did my hen abandon her eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by byc-happy, May 17, 2010.

1. byc-happy

byc-happy New Egg

May 16, 2010
    Hi!
    This is the first time I have ever posted a message online like this so forgive me if a goof....

...but I have a question. I have my first chickens (1 year old now) and now my first hen sitting on 10 eggs. 21 days went by and then we found....a beautiful chick and momma hen off the nest and... in the nest, 1 dead chick and 8 cold eggs. Momma hen and the chick are doing well now. I have never seen anything so cute! But I was wondering why the hen abandoned the other eggs. I now have two more broody hens on 8 eggs each and am hoping to find out what I need to do to get the hen to remain on the nest till all have hatched. The hens are housed seperately in small nest boxes, each with a small additional area available to the hen were there is food and water.

Thanks a bunch for being out there. I am so glad to find this forum.
    Laura

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Were all the eggs under the broody set at one time? Or did the other hens keep laying under her so that there are different stages of incubation going on. A broody will only sit 1-2 days after the eggs start hatching, which is why they need to all be put under her at the same time.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If the nest was elevated, after the first chick ventured out the mother may have joined it. If this was the situation, she would be unable to return without leaving the chick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by