Why did my non-broody stop laying?

Thomas423

Songster
10 Years
Mar 21, 2009
Port Deposit, MD
I have a 1 yo silkie who went broody about 12 days ago. Her coop mate stopped laying at the same time. They were both laying almost daily, now no new eggs.
When Sweetie first went broody, she was on a food/drink break and Pumpkin went into the coop/nesting boxes. Sweetie immediately went in and ran her out. She still lets Pie (the roo) inside but I don't see Pumpkin going in much. Pumpkin has not layed an egg in 12 days, that I can see.
Is this normal or should I be concerned?

ETA: She is in a coop/pen, no free range. Still young....had been laying for about a month.

Last edited:
I have the same thing going on right now. There seems to be a number of folks with hens that are not laying right now. Could be the weather. Could be anything. I have one non-broody who hasn't laid for 11 days now. Another bird, my BA, slightly hurt her leg the other day. She got a tiny puncture wound which I cleaned, but it didn't need a bandage. Guess what? She stopped laying because of that. She has never stopped since she first began laying last October. She was my only bird laying right through the darkest winter days. But now, she's gone 5 days without laying an egg.

If any of my free range girls appear to stop laying and are otherwise well I watch them very carefully when they first leave the coop. Usually I find a pile of rotting eggs somewhere.

One of my friend's hens disappeared and was thought to have been killed by the local fox. She turned up almost a month later with 14 chicks in tow........Now that's what I call impressive!,

Sandie

My hens (4) turned a year old at Easter and aren't molting and area on laying hiatus...I've scoured the yard to find a clutch of eggs somewhere and there is nothing! They too laid durring the darkest days of winter. Very odd...nobody has gone broody that I can tell and no molting either...spring fever?
hmm.png

This post gives me some comfort. My favorite 1 year old hen hasn't laid in 6 days. We have two new chickens that are causing a bit of a disruption. I'm hoping it's just stress or some warmer weather that is causing her to take a break. So far there are no signs of internal laying, which is my big fear. The big girls have been getting into the little girls food. Other than that they free range most of the day. At least 8 hours. Maybe her intake isn't as nutritous as before? They spent the winter eating only egg maker crumbles and were pumping out eggs like no tomorrow. My BO has slowed a bit, but not like this one.......

Back
Top Bottom