WHY?!!! Did one hen attack a broody hen's eggs!!!

Henny Penney

Songster
14 Years
May 2, 2008
wet side of WA, Olympic Peninsula
I’m so upset, beyond upset!! we have 2 small bantam hens and 1 rooster, one hen is 2 weeks into setting, today the other hen got into the setting hen’s nest (she likes to lay her eggs there) and killed an egg, broke it open, and there was a chick developing inside, when I caught her she was starting on a second egg, but it is ok, now only 2 eggs left.

I know what we SHOULD have done that could have prevented this, separated her, etc. but in all the decades of raising chickens I NEVER had a hen kill another hen’s eggs and I’ve never separated a brooding hen. She had her little corner, the other 2 don't even roost in the house at night. What will they do to the chicks? Why would she have done this? How do I not hate that hen and her rooster who was watching! They are very tame, follow us everywhere, jump in our laps, now I just see them as murderers. I’m upset, mama hen is upset.

When other birds have access to the nest of a setting hen problems frequently happen. The hen may have wanted to lay in that nest and in the ensuing struggle eggs got broken. The rooster is an innocent bystander. Hopefully the remaining eggs will hatch, but it is essential to protect the nest site.

Thank you for your reply. Hen #2 (her name is Sparkle, I may start calling her Murderess:() has been laying her eggs in the setting hen's nest, the setting hen, Hazel, would take her "break" while the other laid. This has gone on for 2 weeks. The egg didn't just break, when I went in Sparkle was starting to peck at a second egg. It is such a shock to me bec. I've raised bantams 50 years, have even had hens share a nest and raise a clutch together, never has this happen. I will certainly keep the setting hen protected. There are only 2 eggs left, it was only 3 to begin with, she is a small hen.

PS I like you signature quote

Back
Top Bottom