why did she die?

henrietta101

Songster
8 Years
Oct 8, 2011
I am really sad tonight. This morning I woke up to find one of my hens dead lying upside down in the nesting box. She was only 9 months old and was really healthy. She was eating just fine, behaving as lively as always the day before. I have three other hens the same age. I looked at her and she looked just fine. Nothing had attacked her (we close the house and run up anyway). No change in feed. No other chickens picking on her in fact she was number two in the pecking order.

It is winter here at the moment in Australia. Where I live it got down to 8 degrees celsius, or 46 degrees Farenheit. IT really doesnt get colder than that. There was some wind last night. The little door into the house was open and the little window was open so I dont know if that would have anything to do with it. My husband built a little door and window shutter today.

Any ideas? Do they sometimes die this young? I am worried for my others now.

We are so so so sad. These are our first hens and we were very attached to her.

In fact I just noticed that my profile pic is an old photo of her .
idunno.gif

Do you worm your chickens? Could be an over load of worms. I lost three, what seemed perfectly healthy chickens. They then started wheezing/rasping. It was capillary worms

So sorry about your hen. I don't know why she died, but I do know that most birds do their best to mask any weaknesses or symptoms so that you, or another bird, do not know that they are ill. Often chickens are in fairly serious condition before we notice there is a problem. This can be very frustrating, but there's not much we can do. Of course some things do come on suddenly. I just read that birds raised for meat are at risk for heart attacks if they are allowed to grow too quickly. So many things to know!

Sounds like you are taking good care of your chickens, and this was just one of those inexplicable deaths. Her life may have been short, but it was a good life.
hugs.gif

Thanks for the reply. Yes she was loved. We made a little box for her and have her own little grave up the back. She was the kids little intro to death unfortunately but they coped....i struggled!

Back
Top Bottom