Why did she lay a very small egg today?

We've been getting small eggs with no yolk on a regular basis and they aren't new layers. Is there something wrong?
Unfortunately i do not know but maybe @casportpony or @Sally Sunshine have an idea

And welcome to BYC
welcome-byc.gif

One of our hens is laying tiny eggs, 5 in the last couple of months. All the hens (they all were a year old in March) look healthy, no one is acting "off" and they all lay brown eggs, so I don't know who it is. I really don't know what I can do about it. So, I do nothing.

I had this happen a few times but I don't know why. I wouldn't worry about it. My birds are healthy and happy but sometimes "it" happens!

I have had my girls 2 years this November and it is July and Hot Hot Hot here in Florida. So if my math is correct they are around 20 months old. They have been laying medium to large eggs ever they started laying last year April. I normally get around 3 to 5 eggs a day from 6 girls. 2 Buffs, 2 Americauna and 2 Rhode Island Reds. Yesterday I got a $.25 sized egg from either the one of the Buffs or Reds. And today I got another. They are about the size of a quail egg (just for reference not trying to repeat myself). I can see that nobody really is an expert on the problem but I really dont mind. Its just myself and my wife now so we give most of the eggs away to family and friends. I am going eat the tiny eggs tomorrow unless I get another small one. Then I think I will boil them and make pickled quail/chicken eggs. I am more worried about Avian flu than small eggs. I just heard that Bay County just had some confirmed cases of the flu. I keep my girls in their 10x10 enclosed run and at night they stay in their house. I use to let them run the back yard last year but they kept tearing everything up so that ended. I do appreciate the information about the flu. I will keep a closer eye on them for the rest of the Hot Hot Hot summer. By the way I feed them Dumor 16% layena crumbles and a small can of cat food to increase their protein intake. I put out scratch every day and clean water from 2 waterers every day fresh. They are pampered and fat. I guess that is why my wife is so confused about the small eggs. She is a worry wart.... LOL

I have had my girls 2 years this November and it is July and Hot Hot Hot here in Florida. So if my math is correct they are around 20 months old. They have been laying medium to large eggs ever they started laying last year April. I normally get around 3 to 5 eggs a day from 6 girls. 2 Buffs, 2 Americauna and 2 Rhode Island Reds. Yesterday I got a $.25 sized egg from either the one of the Buffs or Reds. And today I got another. They are about the size of a quail egg (just for reference not trying to repeat myself). I can see that nobody really is an expert on the problem but I really dont mind. Its just myself and my wife now so we give most of the eggs away to family and friends. I am going eat the tiny eggs tomorrow unless I get another small one. Then I think I will boil them and make pickled quail/chicken eggs. I am more worried about Avian flu than small eggs. I just heard that Bay County just had some confirmed cases of the flu. I keep my girls in their 10x10 enclosed run and at night they stay in their house. I use to let them run the back yard last year but they kept tearing everything up so that ended. I do appreciate the information about the flu. I will keep a closer eye on them for the rest of the Hot Hot Hot summer. By the way I feed them Dumor 16% layena crumbles and a small can of cat food to increase their protein intake. I put out scratch every day and clean water from 2 waterers every day fresh. They are pampered and fat. I guess that is why my wife is so confused about the small eggs. She is a worry wart.... LOL
welcome-byc.gif

it is normal for them to randomly have a 'fart' egg, i got one a week ago from one of my girls, my daughter thought it was cute so i ended up draining the egg so she can keep it, what was strange about mine was it had a very tiny yolk, usually they are all whites

Thats funny. "Fart eggs". I will make sure my wife knows the official BYC tag. I guess I have never seen one that is no yoke. I will see about these when I cook them. Thanks

Thats funny. "Fart eggs". I will make sure my wife knows the official BYC tag. I guess I have never seen one that is no yoke. I will see about these when I cook them. Thanks
you're welcome!!, anytime you have questions or need help there are lots of people on BYC willing to help!

i had this happen twice this past week and that seemed to be the end of it, i was thrown off by it.
Thank you for the information.

I just found a teeny egg too - same size- about the size of a quarter - yesterday the wind blew and it poured rain and the chickens didn't go into the coop until it stopped at the end of the day - so I think that is what did it - will see if it's back to regular tomorrow - hope so!

Back
Top Bottom