Why did the chicken dust?

HobbyChickener

Songster
12 Years
Jun 29, 2007
central KY
I have noticed in some posts here lately that people are talking about dusting pans in their coops / runs. Why? What is the reason for it and what are they actually dusting in? If the birds have access to dirt do they need dusting pans?

I think most people that provide pans do so because they can add stuff like DE to it for pest control. Chickens do it as part of their cleaning routine. I don't give my hens dusting pans as they just go find a good spot and make holes. Usually these "good spots" are under your favorite plants or in flower beds and they end up uprooting and killing them!

Because I don't allow mine to free range should I give them a dusting pan then? They do have access to dirt where they are. They are young as well so they might not know they are suppose to do it yet for that matter.

Okay, if you have dust/dirt in your backyard, or wherever your chickens are staying, then you don't need to provide a dust bath pan. Chickens dust bathe because it gets rid of all the pests that live on them or it keeps away the ones that are wanting to get on them. Good luck!!!
-alex

Like alex said, if they have access to dirt, you don't need to give them a dust pan. My birds started dusting at bout 3 weeks old. They could be dusting when you arent looking!

Back
Top Bottom