why did the gator cross the road? (cute pics)

I'm in central florida. I still think that they are kinda cute when they are grown. As I have a 7-8 ft one in the back yard, I have posted pics before of him.
I haven't seen him in awhile and I'm afraid some losers in an airboat took our big friend.
52995_p1010967.jpg

Wow!
I like them, and would love to see them around... but I fear for the saftey of my pets! I shall stick with the local 'aligator' lizards, so named only because they bite, not because they resemble aligators in any other way than being repitilian. They only get about a foot long, max. Most of them are still small enough I worry the pets will eat them! Our cat killed one and the chickens ate it just a few weeks ago.

Shoot! I alligator, I thought that I was about to fall out my chair that you have one in your backyard.......The ones here in SA are vicious little buggers!

He is cute now, but when he is older.....I don't know....

Next time I go out fishing I'll try to remember to take my digital camera.

This year I have been fishing in a canal that has more gators than any place I have ever seen. Most of'em are 3, 4 maybe 5' long but they have a couple that go 10 or maybe 12'.

The trouble I am having is people fishing think it is cute/fun to throw the gator a ham sandwich or a few undersized fish. The gators then begins to associate people with food. Next thing you know Mr or Mrs Gator are trying to climb into the boat to get their own ham sandwiches. It's funny when the gator is 3' long, but heaven help you if it's an 8 footer or longer. Gives a whole new meaning to the term "repel boarders".

Had it happen to me one time, minding my own business, fishing along a canal bank. I had seen the gator but assumed he was just watching me, I kept a watch on him out the corner of my eye. After a few minutes I figured he had went on his way, I forgot about him. Next thing I know the boat starts rocking, I figure-- or rather I don't know what to figure. Turn around and a gator snout, and feet are coming over the side. I whack him with the rod tip, right 7- 8' gator, 6' fishing rod, he don't even notice that I am whoopin on him. He keeps coming, now the only thing limiting his entry into my boat is the center console is in his way. I grab the boat paddle out of the front compartment, and I go to wailing on him. He notices this, and not in a good way, he begins hissin and tossing his head side to side. His head is against the console rod storage rack. That gator is in the process on remodeling my boat. I continue to beat the high holy heck out of him, poking him with the paddle, screamin at him like a little girl (course a little girl probably don't know cuss words like this). Sounds like a young war going on. In the back of my mind I am now laying plans to give the gator the boat, but they ain't no solid ground for me to retreat to, marsh, soft marsh. After what seems like an hour and a half he flops himself back over the side, under he goes invisible-gone-disappeared. Took me all of 3.2 seconds to get the trolling motor up, fire up the OB, and run out of that canal like my hair was on fire with my arse a catchin. On the way out, I passed another boat, they had heard the commotion, but had not seen what was going on. I warned them about the gator. Took me about 3 days to loosen up enough where I could pee without wetting the back of the toilet.

I don't think he was after me-- but he had been fed by some one-- so he was looking for his hand out. About a month later I returned to that canal, no gator, didn't see hide nor hair of him. So he was either removed by wildlife and fisheries or some one put a bullet through his thinking cap. Wild life and fisheries does not relocate trouble gators any more, they put'em down. No place to bring'em, they would just push outher gators out.

Gators are pretty mild here, unless it is sunset or rise. And as long as they haven't been fed by humans. Otherwise they kinda just lay there.

Well I was laying on my horn to the car in front of me, because they weren't moving, then I saw the gator, and of course had to snap some pics.

They are neat to look at but I have enough issues with foxes and the like___don't need gators!
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom