1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why did they come back?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Chicken Charlotte, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Chicken Charlotte

Chicken Charlotte Out of the Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    Hey guys,

We took 3 mother cows away from there calfs, and I mean AGES away not just up the road. And this morning we looked out and they are back home! I mean how could they get out of a barb wire and electric fence? I mean I am SOOOOOOOO angry. We spent a day trying to get them up there where there is yummy long grass. And the stupid things come home [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Cows don't mind barbed wire, their hides are tough. You have some very determined momma cows. I had a longhorn bull that could jump the fence like a deer. Got tired of the sheriff's department calling to get him off the road, so got rid of him. Cows are gonna do what dows do. Leave the cows at home and take away the calves.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It's known as maternal instinct.

4. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

wouldnt you try to get back to your babies if someone took you away from them?
    cows are the same way... and they can be pretty determined mommas [​IMG]

5. Chicken Charlotte

Chicken Charlotte Out of the Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    Haha yes but what will we do now?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by