Why did they stop laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JesusismyKing, Aug 29, 2016.

1. JesusismyKing

JesusismyKing New Egg

Aug 29, 2016
    Hello! I was wondering why my Buff Orpington hens' egg production slowed up for a while? It has been pretty hot out. Could that be part of it? Now that the weather has cooled down they seem to be laying more, but still not as good as they first were.
    Thanks!
    Abigail

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC, Abigail!

Hot weather can most definitely influence egg laying. If the temperatures have just started cooling down, you can't expect the hens' laying to pick up just like that. It will take a little while for the bodies to re-adjust. [​IMG] Make sure the nests are clean and accessible, make sure they have plenty of water, food and calcium and you might want to look around just to be sure they haven't hidden their eggs anywhere in the run or yard.

3. JesusismyKing

JesusismyKing New Egg

Aug 29, 2016
    Thank you for the advice! I had read somewhere that Buff Orpingtons' egg production can drop over summer because they get broody. Some of my hens got broody. Sounds like I just need to be patient! :)

4. BruceAZ

BruceAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2016
    Valley of the Sun :)
    i'm in AZ and it can get pretty hot here 110+

my hens are laying at the normal rate (might be their age though 5+ month old) even when it's hot around 3-5 eggs each day for 5 hens..

give them plenty of water--- this is why i don't use those nipples.. they are pricey and do not really help cooling my chickens in the 110+ heat

set up a few pans of water with 2-3 in deep of water around your area

they will take turn and stand in it!!

so beside the waterer+ wet ground to lie on + pans of water around the yard+ plenty of shade -- how chickens stay cool in the desert heat..

standing in water can help them cool down a lot in the summer heat

but be sure to clean out the pans and refill with fresh water at least 2-3x a day though.. since they do drink from the pan as well

[​IMG]

5. Joplus

Joplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2014
    Hi. I'm in AZ too! I have a buff too and her and all the others are laying tons. But I have a swamp cooler and a baby pool for them. My problem is my Pekin ducks stopped laying. I guess it could be heat but they sit in the pool all day in front of the swamp cooler so I'm worried their laying days are over [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by