why did this guy/gal enter our coop at dusk...cold nights in Massachusetts?

funnyfoshay

Songster
Apr 12, 2018
posssum.jpg

Possums will come in your coop regardless of the weather. I once had one in my coop when it was pouring down rain! Especially in winter, the food is more scarce, and so possums or any other predator will come hunting for food more often.
As for if he was after eggs or chickens, it depends. usually they go after the eggs first, but if they didn't see them, or just had a special craving, they would probably go after your birds. I would make sure to shut the chickens up at or just after dusk, and kill any possum you find.

I've had several possums get into my coop before I could lock it up at dusk. I always saw them at my feeders eating chicken feed.
Do possums forrage for eggs in coops during the day too or only after dusk?

hmmm, the other day I found a frozen broken egg on the floor of the coop- It looked like part of the shell was mising but all of the yolk and white seemed to be ther. It didn't look like a soft shell that had accidentaly plopped out of my young birdies (I have had them 10 mos). I have found soft shells a few times on the coop floor. I keep wondering if this little possum had been in already and found this egg but abandoned it for some reason? I would think we would have more missing eggs though.

My girls are wonderful layers we get 5-7 eggs a day from 2 brahmas, 2EE, 2BR, 2 BOs and 1 mystery hen and they are still under a year old and it is snowy and freezing heer.

I've never seen one in the coop during the daytime, always after dark when I have forgotten to lock up the coop at dusk. I've never had any issues with any going after my hens or eggs either so I can't help you there. I've always seen them around the feeder. I've since gotten 2 dogs that do a good job of keeping nighttime predators away.

Back
Top Bottom