lissasmomma1

Songster
Mar 17, 2021
Milton, Florida
I am redoing this stupid post because I can't figure out how to delete it and it won't let me upload pics highly angry right now

I have three sister hens Jade Onyx, Peppercorn Chip, and Princess Sugar Cube. They are Ayam Cemani.
there is a Roo, named Prince Branch Gristle and their niece Chicken Dumpling.
Jade and Peppercorn Chip are the head hens. Jade is always next to the roo. As she saved his life when they were babies. His best friend cracker jacks died, so he stopped eating and drinking. Jade saw him just laying there. And she walked over and nudged him and pushed him to try and get him to eat. He looked at her and then stood shakily but started eating.
The girls have always gotten along. Then all of a sudden today I noticed Jade sad on the brooder box not really being her normal animated self. Which concerned me. She flies off to the ground and all of a sudden sugar chases her and starts pecking her and got her trapped between the roo and wood. I yelled at them to get them to stop. When she then got on her perching branch, I noticed the entire area around one of her eyes and it was swollen. Could this be because of her getting pecked by the other two, or could it be something else? And why did her biological sisters all of a sudden start attacking her, when they've been together all their lives?

we did remove her from the coop, and put her in a separate cage to let her heal. Now the other two are upset she is gone, which just confuses me, as they just beat her up!! Can anyone enlighten me in to why this happened, please! Any advice would be DEEPLY ap💖preciated.
The birds in the pics names from first down, are Peppercorn Chip, Prince Branch Gristle, Princess Sugar cube the instigator, Chicken Dumpling and Jade Onyx

Attachments

• 20240220_075607.jpg
    20240220_075607.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 20231107_100234.jpg
    20231107_100234.jpg
    416.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20231107_094905.jpg
    20231107_094905.jpg
    381.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 20231107_094405.jpg
    20231107_094405.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240223_101839.jpg
    20240223_101839.jpg
    363.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I have three sister hens Jade Onyx, Peppercorn Chip, and Princess Sugar Cube. They are Ayam Cemani.
there is a Roo, named Prince Branch Gristle and their niece Chicken Dumpling.
Jade and Peppercorn Chip are the head hens. Jade is always next to the roo. As she saved his life when they were babies. His best friend cracker jacks died, so he stopped eating and drinking. Jade saw him just laying there. And she walked over and nudged him and pushed him to try and get him to eat. He looked at her and then stood shakily but started eating.
The girls have always gotten along. Then all of a sudden today I noticed Jade sad on the brooder box not really being her normal animated self. Which concerned me. She flies off to the ground and all of a sudden sugar chases her and starts pecking her and got her trapped between the roo and wood. I yelled at them to get them to stop. When she then got on her perching branch, I noticed the entire area around one of her eyes and it was swollen. Could this be because of her getting pecked by the other two, or could it be something else? And why did her biological sisters all of a sudden start attacking her, when they've been together all their lives?
we did remove her from the coop, and put her in a separate cage to let her heal. Now the other two are upset she is gone, which just confuses me, as they just beat her up!! Can anyone enlighten me in to why this happened, please! Any advice would be DEEPLY appreciated.
Not saying this is the case but sometimes they can group up in pairs with their favorite. I have 3 ducks. The 2 group up and started bullying their other sister. They don't really beat her up anymore just kinda disclude her from things. They do everything together and always stay together leaving her behind. Now she doesn't really mind and actually prefers doing things by herself. Don't know if that could be the same for hens. But that's what I've found with our ducks ❤️.

Chicken logic doesn't always follow human logic. It could be a pecking order thing. As soon as possible (i.e. you feel comfortable with her level of healing) get her back into the run so the pecking order doesn't get too upset.

I had a cockerel that another bird pecked so hard, his eye glued shut recently. I applied a veterinary ophthalmic gel a few times a day, and used q-tips to open his eye gently. But it wasn't necessary to take him out of the run.

You didn't post photos, so not sure how bad your girl is though.

Back
Top Bottom