why did you get into chickens?

Quote:
This is very true! One day while I was out there cleaning the coops ("Housekeep-PING!") I got some clarity. "This is it! I am stuck here." and I didn't mind it ONE bit. I've been stuck before...and let me tell you, it's not fun...or it's never been THIS fun. LOL!

(Am I the only one that gets insight when cleaning chicken doo? Does anyone else out there...do this? I hope!)

A friend once said that it was hard to imagine me--city folk--shoveling chicken doo. I told him it's no different than what I was doing before...at least the doo I deal with now is worth my effort...AND I get delicious eggs as an outcome.

I LOVE reading these stories...I've even forgotten to make breaky! Oops! Gotta go!

My friend (you all know her as Hotwings) kept telling me "You should get some chickens" I finally convinced my husband that it would be a good idea. I loved the meat chickens, they were tasty. and I love my hens too.

I was oh... 12? And wanted even more pets in addition to a few aquariums, the cat, mice, hamsters, and other random things... so I looked up what kind of farm animal I wanted... a cow didn't work, nor did sheep, pigs, or goats... the chickens did though! And they have been an obsession ever since.

i love what ml said about the chickens just moved in. my life is so often like that, too.
cool.png
things are just meant to be.

We just wanted chickens...that's all. As pets. My husband always had several at his house...in the hills of Hayward, CA, just rural enough to have chickens and goats. Now that we live in Napa and couldn't really find any rule that said we COULDN'T have chickens in the city...we have 3! I just think they're great. They don't require much, and they're so fun to watch. And the eggs are pretty darn good too! I could watch them all day doing the chicken scratch dance: " right foot scatch...left foot scratch, scratch...right foot scratch...look down"!
big_smile.png

I've always wanted chickens and the first thing I did when we bought our house was bought 6 barred rock pullets and an Australorp mix rooster. The got eaten by some predator though... because I thought they'd be fine roosting in trees.
roll.png

It started out as wanting fresh eggs and has since become an obsession.

This is the most awesome site/forum!
big_smile.png

I've been visiting BYC for some time now. My dh kept telling me I should register since I kept "reading" him threads. It's good to find so many others who just love their chickens and have so many stories so similar to mine.
This is my third year with chickens.
smile.png
Never had them before and never knew anyone who did. Didn't grow up visiting them at the county fairs and had no desire for them. lol My dh and I bought this place, about 3A, back in 2000. A few years back I wanted a small goat. I kept hinting for one, they were sooooo cute, but my hubby said, no, they were alot of work and too much trouble and why not get chickens instead. We could eat the eggs. Every time I asked for a goat he would talk about getting chickens. lol
Well, to make a longer story shorter...
smile.png
we stopped by the local farm store in the spring and looked at those cute little chicks. We had no clue about raising those little babies and had to take a crash course. We originally bought 10 and set up our 2nd bathroom bathtub for them until we could redesign a leanto off of our shed into a coop & run. That was the beginning of my love of "Chickens"! How lively it has been! Wouldn't want to be without them.
smile.png

It was roosters for me. I longed to hear roosters crowing since I grew up hearing them. After much whining (by me), DH consented to roos as long as we got some hens to at least produce eggs. We now have more roosters than we need and I love them all. We also have various breeds of hens who pay their way and also support their male counterparts. It is absolutely a treat for me to hear crowing most of the day. Obviously, we are in country setting so the boys can vocally compete to their heart's content. The hens are wonderful, too. As another benefit, my grandchildren know where eggs come from and every time they are here, they can have their own private egg hunt. All in all, with my chickens, ducks and sheep, it it hard for me to leave home to go to work--even if it is just two days a week. I never get tired of my little piece of heaven and all of its inhabitants.

Back
Top Bottom