why did you start keeping chickens

I had been born and raised in the country for almost 13 years so when we had to move to the city i did a little research to see if i could bring a little bit of the country with me, for almost 4 years i assured my mom that it would be legal i got her to stop by the local feed store to "just look"
wink.png
. well as looking into the water tough filled with little balls of fluff i saw 2 that i just couldn't leave, see i have a bearded dragon who gives me this sassy little look when she's hungry and a dog who always looks up at me and tilts his head to the side and has this innocent little look on his face and these 2 chicks had that same look so i showed my mom and she fell in love with the little guys so after promising to just get 2 we took them home and for 2 weeks they stayed in my room in a guinea pig cage we got a little coop that needed some work mostly cosmetic flaws but meh it kept them warm, dry and protected. 8 months later we get 4 more biddes kinda by accident. we've also ended up with a pot bellied pig which the neighbors love to see get chased into his little pool by my crazy hens

Sounds like your husband is a gem like mine! I also have eleven hens. They don't all have names because some of them we can't really tell apart. As soon as I 'get around to it' (LOL) I am going to put bands on their legs, then they can all have names.

I agree mine have helped me out of depression and that is worth millions to me..
:thumbsup

I was off work for 6 months struggling with anxiety and depression. I had gone back to work, but continued to struggle until I got them that summer. All my stress just melted away. I was having horrible vertigo from being so stressed, though I never actually thought it was stress at the time. The doctors kept telling me it was in my head. Apparently it was, because I doubt chickens can cure MS (which was their first thought).

thumbsup.gif

I was off work for 6 months struggling with anxiety and depression. I had gone back to work, but continued to struggle until I got them that summer. All my stress just melted away. I was having horrible vertigo from being so stressed, though I never actually thought it was stress at the time. The doctors kept telling me it was in my head. Apparently it was, because I doubt chickens can cure MS (which was their first thought).
They are wonderful creatures and I just cant get enough of them, I am happy you got better. Stress and depression are wicked monsters

I'm a naturalist so eating foods with chemicals, Animals that suffer, and land devistation, Are against what I beleive in, So comming from a family of farmers, I know how important it is to do my part to feed my family and friends and the local food shelves with good healthy foods. There is nothing better then to wake up to a roosters crow instead of the annoying sound of an alarm clock, to go outside and take in a lung full of country air instead of car exhaust, to run your hand through feather and fur, and to watch and hear the daily community of animals playing and forageing. Chicken's are the foundation of a farm. the beauty of all the colors and styles of chickens are breathtaking and who can resist a baby chicken?

I'm a naturalist so eating foods with chemicals, Animals that suffer, and land devistation, Are against what I beleive in, So comming from a family of farmers, I know how important it is to do my part to feed my family and friends and the local food shelves with good healthy foods. There is nothing better then to wake up to a roosters crow instead of the annoying sound of an alarm clock, to go outside and take in a lung full of country air instead of car exhaust, to run your hand through feather and fur, and to watch and hear the daily community of animals playing and forageing. Chicken's are the foundation of a farm. the beauty of all the colors and styles of chickens are breathtaking and who can resist a baby chicken?
X2 Well said, very well said!!!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom