Why do all the chickens lay and sleep in the same nestbox?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenboy7c2d, Nov 18, 2010.

1. chickenboy7c2d

chickenboy7c2d Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Surrey, England, UK
    yeah, they fight for one nestbox when there are plenty more to choose from? I've taken away the dividers but they still lay in the same area

2. KIDDSBANTAMS

KIDDSBANTAMS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    Lexington
    Mine do the same then, we decided it was crazy having all the divided nesting boxes, so we built 2 super large boxes they are 8 feet long and have one divider. They still all lay in the same nest and not only the same nest but all lay in the very back corner, all the eggs are in this one small area. I think it is crazy. I have stood there and watched them, it is so funny. They all want in there at the same time and they will peck each other so that the other ones can't lay in that one small area, there is 8 feet to lay eggs.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Because that's what chickens do.

Maybe it has something to do with their instinctual tendency to want to add to an existing clutch of eggs rather than lay new eggs individually elsewhere. Or maybe they are just bloodyminded and dim. Or maybe it is part of some complex psychological experiment they're doing on humans. I dunno.

Bottom line, yes, that's what chickens are like. Get used to it [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

4. chickenboy7c2d

chickenboy7c2d Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Surrey, England, UK
    lol, I remember once the chicken at the bottom of the pecking order tried to kick the chicken at the top of the pecking order out of that one part of the nest to lay. But not only that she climbed on top of her and tried to steal her eggs. CRAZY CHICKENS:drool

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I have 6 nest boxes plus 3 spots on the floor they like to use. I just pulled a hen off my broody; there was no one else in the coop. She made a bunch of noise and huffed out of the coop. Wonder if she will hold the egg til tomorrow. Chickens....

6. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    If every hen laid in a nest of her own, it would take her a good long time to build up a clutch of eggs large enough to set. By that time, the first laid eggs would be less fresh (and less likely to hatch).

On the other hand, with a flock of hens adding to a communal nest, you get a clutch large enough to set very quickly. The eggs are freshly laid when the hen settles down to incubate them.

From an evolutionary perspective, all of the hens in a wild flock are likely to be genetically related anyway, so it doesn't make that much of a difference who sets whose eggs.

7. johny

johny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Mine hens also lay mostly in the same box every day.
    But every day it may be a different box.
    Their preferred box is the one in the southeast corner of the coop.
    Next place of preference is to lay eggs Under the SE egg box. It stands on 8 inch 2x4 legs and the hens fit in nicely underneath to lay eggs on the floor.
    Next place of preference is the Southwest egg box.

Both egg boxes are identical except for orientation in the coop.
    But it seems that once one hen lays in a box every other will follow that day.

Each day is different but they follow the same trend every day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by