why do chickens stand on 1 leg?

Among our flock, ONLY the roo (Morgan) does it. I believe it is a show of dominance and or stature.
Not to mention...he's got a little Captian in him
big_smile.png

mine do it all the time, I once posted a picture on facebood of one of my chickens standing on one leg in a way that you couldn't see the leg that was being held up and wrote that this hen was in the Vietnam war and lost its leg to a landmine and got responses like "really" and "poor thing".
gig.gif

Birds' legs have an adaptation called "rete mirabile" that minimizes heat loss. The arteries that transport warm blood into the legs lie in contact with the veins that return colder blood to the bird's heart. The arteries warm the veins. By standing on one leg, a bird reduces by half the amount of heat lost through unfeathered limbs.

mine do it all the time, I once posted a picture on facebood of one of my chickens standing on one leg in a way that you couldn't see the leg that was being held up and wrote that this hen was in the Vietnam war and lost its leg to a landmine and got responses like "really" and "poor thing".
gig.gif
yuckyuck.gif

Back
Top Bottom