WHY do ducks quit laying??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by headred, Aug 6, 2009.

1. headred

headred Songster

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    I'm sure this has been asked and answered before, but why do ducks and I suppose chickens also, quit laying after being SO regular. I have read a few different reasons. I am hoping the main reason might be molting, which a couple of mine are doing right now. Feed has stayed the same so I don't think that is why. Post if you know! Thanks!

2. Webfoot

Webfoot Songster

Jan 7, 2009
    Central TX
    In its natural form, laying is a seasonal thing. A bird lays only a clutch of eggs, incubates them, and raises the young. There's no reason to keep laying.

Most domesticated breeds have been selectively bred to continue laying long past when they would have stopped in the wild. Laying takes a toll on a bird's body, and they have to stop and recover once in a while, usually during a molt, as you've noticed.

A young bird may lay through most of her first year, but during each successive year she'll lay fewer eggs, and lay for a shorter amount of time.

Webfoot

3. streemers

streemers Songster

Oct 13, 2008
    port orchard,WA
    mine stop laying when molting and then pick up where they left off. they also stop when it gets very cold for a few weeks

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Songster

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Another reason, sometimes, is stress. Mine get stressed out about little things like a different type of bedding in their pen, or a new pet in the family. They'll stop laying for a week or more and then pick back up again. So don't worry--it's probably a minor blip, and they'll be back to laying before you know it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: