Why do I keep losing my Babies?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Goat_Walker, May 3, 2009.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Wednesday I lose my Rat Willow...
    Yesterday I come home, and three of my ducklings have been eaten..

Then todayI lose my last Rat, scout.... I sat with her for an hour... and I leave, for not even twenty seconds so my dad can yell at me about how worthless I am and she is gone when I come back.

Twenty seconds.

Compassion and respect for the dead are non existent in my home. All I am hearing now is " Get that rat cage out of my back yard"
    I just placed it out there so I can scrub it down.

Well Im pretty down right now, and Ive got a major headache. I had to dig her grave in the rain or else I would have never been able to break the soil.

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  2. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. FrizzleFreak

FrizzleFreak Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I'm sorry *gets a shovel and helps you dig, then makes hot cocoa with whipped cream* I know how you feel, this winter was awful, we had a couple of feed bags full of dead chickens. We had a LOT of snow, and the chickens didn't know what it was...and... [​IMG]

4. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

5. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

I am sorry for your losses [​IMG] Sounds like you jave had a pretty tough time latley [​IMG]

6. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    [​IMG]

7. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Sorry for your losses [​IMG] Hopefully things start looking up soon.

8. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    Compassion and respect for the living is important too! Just know that you can always check in here for support... I'm so sorry for all your recent losses. My daughter was out of town for a weekend, and I was to care for her gerbils (among other things!). Well, I thought I'd do her a favor and clean their cage. I replaced the dirty newspaper with torn up brown paper bags (from the health food store). I guess there's some glue or something in that paper, because all 3 of her girl gerbils were dead in the morning. I hadn't cleaned the boy's cage, so I'm pretty sure it was the paper bags. She knew I felt awful about it, so I didn't get reemed for my mistake - but we certainly learned from that one. Hang in there and be strong - we feel for you.

9. hobbyfarmer

hobbyfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2007
    Kentucky
    [​IMG]

10. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sadly there's no answer as to why. *puts flowers on Willow's grave* *helps you plant some flowers to remember your ducklings*

But there's not a person here who won't offer empathy, encouragement and support. No, we don't always get those things from the people we live with AKA our families. But, we're in good company. David didn't exactly get encouragement from his brothers when he went to fight the giant. His dad didnt even bring him in as one of the sons when they came to annoint him as king. They had to ask if there wasn't another son.

I'm sorry to hear of your recent losses. Its hard to lose an animal. I've had a lot of losses recently and it hurts. - 2 pheasant babies the other day, 6 ducks, 2 turkeys, and a pen full of quail, to mention some. It's hard and you miss them. Someone said in a movie on Hallmark, that when it hurts that much, it means you care that much.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by