Why do I need to get 6?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chantald, May 3, 2008.

1. chantald

chantald Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] I currently have15 chicks, 2 RIRs are for a friend. My kids LOVE these RIRs.. so I thought.. OK, I'll contact the feed store and order 2 more.. let my friend have those and my kids won't have to give up Cutie and Pie. I call the feed store and, yes they are waiting on a big order but I have to take 6 chicks.. not just 2.. why??

It is a NY thing..?? How can My Back Yard chickens sell 3 chicks via mail and yet I need to walk out of the feed store with 6? (and if I order from MBYC, I still need 5 as I'm more than 1/2 hour away from NYC, so that isn't getting me anything..)

I just want 2 RIR female chicks!!!

gosh darn it! :mad:

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    The other three will not be that much of a stretch to add. [​IMG] [​IMG]

yes I am an enabler. Get the chicks Get the chicks and post pictures too [​IMG]

3. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    Did you tell them you already have 15? I know some states have rules about how many you can get, but it is usually 3-4 and only if you don't currently have some. Hmmm sorry about your dilemma.

4. chantald

chantald Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I think my DH would flip... and I only hav ean 7x8 henhouse

5. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    6 is the minum number some want you to get.i think its to make sure that your getting them for eggs.an not just a whim for the kids to have chickens.an then get tired of them an get rid of them.

6. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    this seems to be a thing that some citys or countys have. In the code enforcement thingy in our city , it says that you can not sell chicks younger than 4 weeks and in quantities less than 6 too.its abit of a stupid law. But on the other hand it is not allowed to sell colored chicks and ducks.thats the one good thing. I got around the minmum by going to a different city.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by