Why do my Chickens hate me?

mimiv

Hatching
Jun 15, 2015
Hi I have 3 chickens and they are about 5 months old. I have noticed that one is especially ummmmm unfriendly. When I go to feed them or give them new water Trudy will walk towards me and peck at me when I reach in her coop.

When I try to shoo her she just steps up closer to me like a challenge. She has never been very friendly.

Also I have a RIR and she was my favorite because she would come near me and eat from my hand. Now Im thinking "she" may be a "he". Her bomb is quite larger than the other 2 breeds I have but her bottom is shaped like a hen. Anyway, she/ he has become aggressive when we come toward the coop and she also pecks at us. What am I missing because I hear all these stories about sweet friendly chickens and mine don't seem like either of those. :)

Try hand feeding them grape halves, mine have made best friends with me since I started using this treat. I sit on an old milk crate in the run and they run up and take one. One tried pecking my toenail polish, it is sort of grape color, lol. They are about nine weeks old, just patiently letting them get to trust me. Good luck.:)

Hand feeding them treats and sitting with them should help. Can you post a picture of your chicken? I'm sure someone on here can tell you if it's a he or she. Good luck.

Last edited:

Is this a rooster?

No, it's a hen. Hatchery Reds aren't the friendliest.

It does have a big comb, but it is a pullet. Reds are skidish from my experience, but what you describe is how my cockerels behaved. I suppose maybe since you do not have a rooster she has taken it upon herself to protect the flock. I would not accept the pecking attacks, and treat her the same way as a haughty taughty cockerel--I'd grab her up or chase her to let her know who is he boss. That won't make her more cuddly, but I doubt anything will.

Last edited:
Certain breeds just don't like humans lol... Hate is such a strong word haha, its more just distrust. ;) you're big and scary and possibly wanting to eat them.... I have some Ancona's that would jump into the fire pit before letting me touch them, Barred Rocks that won't come TO me but if I turn my back or sit down they are in my hair... Cochins that I trip over, they always want picked up.... 2 cockerels going through puberty but they're Bantam so its kinda cute when they try to puff up to me and I puff right back lol...and my Big Bird is a beautiful Red Star...babied since birth. I can grab him and carry him like a football all day. I never let him peck at me, and when he did his little puberty thing, i would peck him right back lol, he learned to respect me. ;)

Breed can make a HUGE difference. So can treats. Mealworms. Grapes, spaghetti... They may never sit on your lap and cuddle but at least they won't "hate" you ;)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom