Why do my hens attack my roo?

PeepsAreForMe

Songster
7 Years
Apr 10, 2012
Pemberton Borough, NJ
I have a lemon orpington cuckoo rooster who is just over a year old and three golden sex links that are a year old. When it was still cold out my roo got some frost bite on his comb and waddle and one of the girls started pecking him. That is him in my avatar and now one of his combs is a half inch shorter. I put blue kote on him and that seemed to work. But now, it is much warmer at night and someone has pecked him 3 times in one week. We put more blue kote on him last night and this morning he was bleeding.

Does anyone have any idea why? He is a great rooster, not mean to me or the girls. Maybe he is too nice?? The other morning a part of his comb was pecked that was not pecked before, so we can't understand why they are doing this. Their coop is 5' x 5', plenty of room for the four of them to hang out in until I let them out to eat. Then, their protected run is 5' x 16'. They were out in that all day yesterday and he was bloody when I came home from work.

It sounds like they are pecking a wound, which is quite normal for chickens. I think if you can remove him until he is healed, the behavior will stop. BluKote is supposed to stop them from doing this, I know. Unfortunately, sometimes it works better than others. I've used it and been relieved that for me it worked, but I've only had a couple of very minor injuries to experiment with.

Back
Top Bottom