Why do my hens chase off the new roosters?

JoCoKS

Chirping
May 13, 2019
My hens get along without a problem but I have recently added a couple young roosters (The rooster are 3 months old. Before I get comments about roosters no getting along I will tell you they hatched on the same day and are very close to each other. They do not like being separated from each other) My problem is the hens actually chase off these young roosters around. I thought they would be happy to have roosters but they are not. The hens have seen them off and on for at least a month+ because when I clean their brooder, now coop they have seen them and the brooder/coop which is an old baby bed I turned into a brooder now a coop. I put in a door and added a ramp for them last week and put up chicken wire to keep them apart but my biggest roosters keeps going to my hen's area. Today I gave my girls their sunflower seeds with nuts, etc, some canned corn, meat scraps, etc. and they were very happy like usual. My roosters checked out what the hens were happy with and ran to the feeder. They were eating like they had not seen food in a long time (my roosters have big appetites) and one hen after another made sure to chase them off. (My young roosters are smaller then the hens) I was surprised to find my roosters were not in their coop last night but in the coop with the girls. I was worried I may have some chickens chewed up in a fight but there were no injuries or feathers messed up. FYI: I opened the fence separating the roosters from the hens because I was having a problem getting the roosters back to their side of the fence. They can really move very fast.
My roosters are Bielefelder and some of my hens, the rest are Faverolles.

My hens get along without a problem but I have recently added a couple young roosters (The rooster are 3 months old. Before I get comments about roosters no getting along I will tell you they hatched on the same day and are very close to each other. They do not like being separated from each other) My problem is the hens actually chase off these young roosters around. I thought they would be happy to have roosters but they are not. The hens have seen them off and on for at least a month+ because when I clean their brooder, now coop they have seen them and the brooder/coop which is an old baby bed I turned into a brooder now a coop. I put in a door and added a ramp for them last week and put up chicken wire to keep them apart but my biggest roosters keeps going to my hen's area. Today I gave my girls their sunflower seeds with nuts, etc, some canned corn, meat scraps, etc. and they were very happy like usual. My roosters checked out what the hens were happy with and ran to the feeder. They were eating like they had not seen food in a long time (my roosters have big appetites) and one hen after another made sure to chase them off. (My young roosters are smaller then the hens) I was surprised to find my roosters were not in their coop last night but in the coop with the girls. I was worried I may have some chickens chewed up in a fight but there were no injuries or feathers messed up. FYI: I opened the fence separating the roosters from the hens because I was having a problem getting the roosters back to their side of the fence. They can really move very fast.
My roosters are Bielefelder and some of my hens, the rest are Faverolles.
How old are your hens?
This all sounds like normal integration behavior. The older birds are chasing off the younger birds and making sure they keep their place in the pecking order.
You don't have roosters. You have cockerels. This isn't just a matter of semantics. Those boys need to learn their place in the flock and it seems they are. It will be a while before they win the respect of the hens.

Such Behaviour is normal but they will eventually get along. The cockerels may start being independent as they age and are likely to start fighting. You might want to keep only the fittest Roo.

Such Behaviour is normal but they will eventually get along. The cockerels may start being independent as they age and are likely to start fighting. You might want to keep only the fittest Roo.
My roos grew up together and are completley fine. Just a few tiny scuffles here and there to show dominance but the top dog rooster doesn't mind about the beta roo. The only time the top dog gets really mad is when the beta tries breeding with the hens. The hens don't even let the beta breed with them so everything is fine. Two roosters will be fine with each other.

If the cockerels aren't getting enough to eat, then you could add more food and water stations that are out of sight of the others. Otherwise, it seems like normal integration stuff and will work itself out.

Back
Top Bottom