1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why do my hens only lay in the morning?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JaceTx, Feb 13, 2009.

1. JaceTx

JaceTx Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2009
    I have 7 that are laying now and it seems like by 1 or 2 in the afternoon they are finished. It doesn't get dark until about 6:30. Is this normal?

I live in Central Texas and it has been mostly nice weather lately.

2. Country Guy John

Country Guy John Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    Yes, this tends to be normal behavior. In most cases, My hens are finished laying by 1 or 2 in the afternoon.

3. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, pretty much!

4. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

My pullets lay a couple hours later each day. If one gal lays in the early AM, before I get up for a couple days, then the next day she might lay around the time I go out to check for eggs and give them water (~8 am), and the next day she won't lay until mid morning ~10 am, and then it's not until noon, and then next day around 2 pm, the next day around 4 pm -- and then she seems to hold that next days 6 pm egg until sometime early in the AM of the following day.

The cycle then repeats. Most people say that chickens lay every approx 26 hr, and I would agree with that based on my observations (egg diary) of my 4 chickens.

I know who lays which egg, based on observation of who is in the nest box. They lay radically different eggs, so I can tell them apart!

5. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    i got one crazy who lays around 6-7pm [​IMG]

6. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Mine are one 25-27 hour cycles, which means that they gradually lay later & later in the day until they skil a day all together. They they start early in the morning... little later each day for 5-7 days, then skip a day.

Rinse, later, repeat indefinitely.

7. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    My current flock hasn't started laying yet, but our previous flock was always done by 1 or 2, which made egg finding very easy. I kept them penned until around 2 p.m. and then they were able to free-range the rest of the day without me worrying about where they were going to lay their eggs. When they were free-ranging all day and had first started laying, I hadn't realized they were laying until I found a huge pile of eggs in the doghouse (igloo type). I then searched until I found another pile hidden away. I hope this new flock lays early also.

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts. For the most part mine lay in the mornings. Once I did have one of my girls lay in the morning and again in the evening. I know this because I had one more egg than layers so one of them had to lay twice in one day.

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I usually have one or two that wait until about 3 or 4 PM to lay.... Most are done by 2PM

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by