Why do my week old chicks seem to be growing so fast?

mxer

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 24, 2010
W. Cen. Ohio
Hello all. I ordered 25 of the 'Special Assorted Bargain' chicks from McMurray Hatchery and received them on 5/24, so they are about a week and a half old. My question is while observing these chicks they seem to be growing so much faster compared to the chicks we bought back in March from the local Hardware store during chick days. I told my fiance that it is probably because these new chicks are purebred birds compared to the mixed original birds we have. But I also wonder if starting these birds out on, what I called, ' The Magic Potion', the green chick grow gel. And also giving them the vitamin water the first few days, may also be making the difference. Just curious as to maybe why these birds seem so much more healthy. By the way, we are newbies at this and I keep telling my fiance that I'm a chicken Farmer for Life now so lets get more. So addicting and fun. Thank you all for all the information I have read and greatly helped me with.

I've never had chicks that didn't sprout up like Jack and the Beanstalk's magic beans. That seems normal to me. Maybe your other batch of chicks weren't from good stock to begin with, or were a more slowly developing breed?

Quote:
I couldn't tell you of what breed my original batch of chicks are. Just wondered if anyone else has ever noticed this. Yes they all do see to grow quite fast , but is part of it because of being a pure bred hatch. It is a quite noticeable difference. Heck I already need to put a lid on the brooder.

Hi,
I have two brees in the brooder................and my Orps are definatley out growing my Marans.
Also have 1o mixed ? from a broody laying hen..I am amazed that these chicks are tiny.....and cuter than cute.
Mom is Sussex.won't tell who Dad is.LOL
So,agree with the previous person.likely breed............
Have fun with them.

Back
Top Bottom