Why do older hens have bubbley eyes sometime at random times?

GingerJane

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 8, 2013
So maybe a couple times a year (SHE ISN'T SICK EITHER, I DO KNOW WHEN THEY ARE SICK) her eyes get a little watery and

bubbly, yes I know it sounds she is sick with Respiratory disease but she is not because it only last a couple days then

she is back to normal healthy as horse and I know all the other symptoms of that disease, trust me I know she isn't sick

with that.. So as I was saying healthy as a horse ,despite the fact she is almost 9 years old, yes that's right 9 years old!!!

So does anyone know what causes her eyes to do that?

Thanks much!

Oh okay I see, so sometimes stress can cause that? Because remember she is really old

If they are a carrier sometimes there doesn't even need to be stress. Some respiratory diseases will show minor symptoms off and on like that stress or no stress but, as mentioned, the bird won't necessarily come down with a full blown case of whatever it is they are a carrier of. These birds have, at some point in their lives, contracted one respiratory disease or another and recovered from it. But they will continue to have these little flare up's once in a while.

Last edited:
Oh okay I see, so sometimes stress can cause that? Because remember she is really old
The stress causes a disease to erupt/escalate.....

.....just stress alone doesn't cause watery bubbly eyes.

Age can be a stressor, aging immune systems sometimes don't function as well.

Last edited:
Hard to say. I don't really ever consider respiratory diseases in chickens to be minor. BUT, at the same time, especially given her age, this just may be the way she's going to be at this point. She's likely a carrier of something and, being that she's pretty old and we all know that our bodies don't function as well in old age, she may have these little outbreaks more often.

She probably has some kind of disease/infection, whether you think she's sick or not.

Research those symptoms and find out what it is, maybe post in the Emergencies/Injuries/Diseases forum, to learn what kind of medication might cure it.

Here's search for watery bubbly eyes:
advanced search>titles only> watery bubbly eyes
Read some threads in that search to find an answer.

Back
Top Bottom