1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why do people raise nest boxes

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by RBOutdoors, Mar 14, 2012.

1. RBOutdoors

RBOutdoors Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    I would like to add some best boxes to my portable coop that the girls can use if they go broody to raise the little ones. My current boxes are on the second level and are roll away. I need the room upstairs for more roosts and thinking of doing away with the roll away feature. It is nice but I have two hens that lay their eggs outside the coop and thought it would encourage them to lay inside if other eggs where there.

I guess my question is why do people elevate the nest boxes? I was thinking maybe 3"-5" off the ground would work.

Plus I would like my little girl to be able to get the eggs out of the boxes

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Mine are on the ground of the coop, my coop is not ground level...

I used a covered cat litter box (strapped down so it wouldn't tip) for broody hens - it discouraged other layers from adding eggs and made her safe from pestering roos and other hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by