Why do people...

People quit animals for many reasons. Aging can affect one’s ability to care for their animals properly. Illness can do the same. Sometimes life just gets in the way, and they realize that their animals aren’t getting the attend they should. Or it gets to be too stressful to be taking care of animals along with everything else going on. Other life events can also come along that make it difficult or impossible to keep one’s animals.
That's true. its still sad I guess.

I think when some people start out, they think raising them is just like raising chickens with a pool added. It is not! They are messy in tight quarters but not bad if they have room to free range or spread out. They do love and need fresh water daily and they do LOVE mud so they are more work than chickens. Not everyone is willing or able to do that extra work.

That's true. Although they are so much fun. XD
I also think the mess can be managed. But that's just me.
Thanks.
But yeah, I can understand why some people wouldn't like the mess.

But one thing I like about poultry is how much gain in food you can get from so little effort. The same effort to get food is much harder with cows I think. Etc. I hope people can think about how much harder it is to get food from the larger animals. Those really take more energy.

I do know a few people that really love raising cattle. But to me raising cattle would be too hard. They are so big and so many other things.

That's true. Although they are so much fun. XD
I also think the mess can be managed. But that's just me.
Thanks.
But yeah, I can understand why some people wouldn't like the mess.

But one thing I like about poultry is how much gain in food you can get from so little effort. The same effort to get food is much harder with cows I think. Etc. I hope people can think about how much harder it is to get food from the larger animals. Those really take more energy.

I do know a few people that really love raising cattle. But to me raising cattle would be too hard. They are so big and so many other things.

I agree with you. I love my ducks and my family turns up their noses to chicken eggs now. It would take some rough times for us to eat our ducks though. I get frustrated with all the people who post about how they went to buy chicks and the ducklings were so cute so the bought them on impulse with their chicks. 9 times out of 10 they end up with too many drakes since those feed store ducklings usually come from hatcheries which sell sexed ducklings and they are not prepared for the work and setting required for ducks. Ducks are not cute chickens. It is not fair to them to raise them and then get rid of them because they do not act like chickens.

I agree with you. I love my ducks and my family turns up their noses to chicken eggs now. It would take some rough times for us to eat our ducks though. I get frustrated with all the people who post about how they went to buy chicks and the ducklings were so cute so the bought them on impulse with their chicks. 9 times out of 10 they end up with too many drakes since those feed store ducklings usually come from hatcheries which sell sexed ducklings and they are not prepared for the work and setting required for ducks. Ducks are not cute chickens. It is not fair to them to raise them and then get rid of them because they do not act like chickens.
I like how you worded that last two or 3 lines.

While I'm not one of those people, I completely understand why anyone would want to, "quit ducks." I adore my pet ducks and am very dedicated to them... But I'm looking forward to the day when I don't have to plan my life around duck bedtime. 2 of my 3 ducks take daily medication, and will indefinitely. So I can't go on vacation. In the past 5 years I've spent over $30,000 on avian veterinary bills - and I just feel lucky to have an avian vet. I spend hours cleaning bird poop, scrubbing pools, and hauling soiled bedding every week. When they are sick I drag myself to the barn at 5am to tube feed them by flashlight - or give them nebulizer treatments. They also bring great amounts of joy to my life. I do delight in them everyday and I will NEVER re-home them.

I researched before I got ducks. I read article after article claiming that after building them a secure home and providing them with food and water they basically took care of themselves. Ha!!!

I totally understand KaleIAm. I love my ducks to death, but it is a lot of work to keep the happy and healthy.

I am always dealing with one thing or another with them and it takes time and effort. But their silliness and live is worth it.

I strongly recommend pet insurance for anyone who has ducks as a pet. The bills all add up.

I totally understand KaleIAm. I love my ducks to death, but it is a lot of work to keep the happy and healthy.

I am always dealing with one thing or another with them and it takes time and effort. But their silliness and live is worth it.

I strongly recommend pet insurance for anyone who has ducks as a pet. The bills all add up.
What company insures ducks? When I looked into it a few years ago I couldn't find one!

Sorry couldn’t resist!!! ;)

9F92519C-FCE6-48CE-9F7C-8854EA923511.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom