Why do some of my Amerauanas have beards?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by paula and her chicks, Jul 18, 2010.

1. paula and her chicks

paula and her chicks In the Brooder

Jun 11, 2010
    Thousand Oaks Calif.
    Ok I have 6 ameraucanas chicks 7 weeks old and 3 of them have fuzzy little beards whats with that? My hubby thinks they might be roos! I hope not. What do you think?

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    If you got them from a Hatchery they would be EE's (Easter Egger) and not a true Amerauanas.

*Amerauanas should have a beard*
    http://www.ameraucana.org/

Chris

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  3. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Some are bearded and some are not. The lack of one (or appearance of one) does not indicate the sex of the bird.

4. HBuehler

HBuehler Songster

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Sounds like you have EE's but if they are true Ameraucana's meaning you bought them from an Ameraucana breeder not hatchery or feed store and they meet all the requirements set by the APA Breed Standard-they are not all that easy to find...MANY backyard chicken owners breed Ameraucana's but don't have a true Ameraucana on the property so it's really a necessity to know the difference yourself before setting out to buy some if they are what you are wanting...if you just want pretty blue green eggs then EE's are super (some will lay brown or white though)
    If you have a true Ameraucana and it forgot a beard it shouldn't be used for breeding...some colors in Ameraucana's can be sexed early by color patterns rest you just have to wait longer...beard size has nothing to do with it..beards can also be picked out by it's peers [​IMG]

5. paula and her chicks

paula and her chicks In the Brooder

Jun 11, 2010
    Thousand Oaks Calif.
    O.K I bought these chicks from Belt Hatchery then had them shipped to a feed store here in town where we piked them up. My husband is also concerened because they also have thicker necks too!

one they told us was a buff orpp. but now i think she is a amerauana becase she looks more like the AM. and she has the greenish legs and has the beard, but she is a buff color.

what do you think I have?

6. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:Beard + green legs- sound like an Easter Egger. They can be any color feathers.

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

And the thicker looking neck means nothing...it's just the way many EEs are built. [​IMG]

8. Chickanmanfromarkansas

Chickanmanfromarkansas Songster

Jan 18, 2010
    Yep!!!! Easter Eggers. I have 11 EE hens that are about 4 months old and then about 2 weeks ago I ordered 25 more pullets and 10 cockerals from Ideal Poultry Farms Hatchery in Texas. They are here and doing great. These are my fun chickens I can mix and match as I want to. Most all have beards, but a few do not. I'm trying for an all bearded flock but will keep some that are not as they have beautiful feathers on them. I will try to breed the beards into them.

HAve fun with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by