1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why do they all lay eggs in the same box????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ericasl, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Ericasl

Ericasl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    Hello all my question is why do all my hens lay there eggs in the same box??I have six very nice laying boxes all the same size same stuff in them all boxes are close together!! but they all want the same box. I will have seven eggs some times in one box. It is like they stand in line and wait, one goes in lays hers egg, out she goes and in goes another!

The only reason I was wondering, we have to go out of town next weekendand our oldest son is hen sitting for us!!! and god forbid he misses a day the box is going to be so full of eggs.

I have fourteen hens but half of them are not laying, at this point, guess it is to cold for some and they are not all settled from there move to my house. Just wondering if anyone else could shed some light on this for me.

Thanks
    Erica:confused:

2. greenmulberry

greenmulberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    They like to lay where there is already an egg. Do you have any fake eggs, such as golf balls or plastic easter eggs, in the other boxes? That will help them get the idea to spread out their load among the other boxes.

3. Ericasl

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    I only have colored easter eggs that might scare them to death!

4. flip9109

flip9109 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    st paul mn
    mine don't fall for the golfballs

5. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    They don't seem to care about round or oval or color! I use golf balls. They still like one particular box though.

6. Sunny Chook Farm

Sunny Chook Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    I used color Easter eggs w/ my hens, filled w/ sand (just to give it a little weight) they figured out in no time where to lay.. I have 4 nest boxes, but I have two hens that lay in the same box, why I don't know, as long as they are happy and laying (in the box) I'm happy [​IMG]

7. Ericasl

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    Ok I went and put some yellow easter eggs in the other boxes! Guess we will see what happens.

8. Cheryl

Cheryl Chillin' With My Peeps

MY dh would say "Because they can!"[​IMG] Mine don't always pick the same box, 5 girls have the choice of 3 boxes, they just all choose the same box on the given day!

9. flip9109

flip9109 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    st paul mn
    Be glad they are all in a box.

10. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    I think it might be calld togetherness, don't forget they are very social animals and loved to be with each other.

Mine are always cuddling together inside or out. :aww

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by