why do they always kill the favorites?

BlackBrookPoultry

Crowing
12 Years
Jun 15, 2010
Western Wisconsin
I had coyotes come and kill 7 hens today as well as all my pintails and 3 call ducks. Of course none of the roosters got it. My 2 biggest, sweetest black orpingtons are dead as well as my chantecler and lavender orpington hen. My ginger call that survived a mink attack didn't survive this. Poor guy. It's open season on coyotes around here now.

I don't know why that's so often the case, but I sure am very sorry for your losses.
hugs.gif

it is always the favorites. i had something similar happen to me over the summer. i just recently purchased two pekins and like 10 pullets. around 5 months later, i go into the house for just a little moment while they were all out free ranging. i hear the chickens making a horrible noise and my little male pekin that i loved to death quacking as loud as he could. i go running out of the house and into the wood line and all but three chickens are dead. both of my beloved little pekins are gone and i was sooo heart broken. i still really miss my little white dodger and his mate puddles and it has been close to 6 months now.

Sounds like you are overdue for a LSG dog! It sucks to loose any but it does always seem to be the best. I lost my Pyrenees a few weeks ago and I have lost a Narr tom last week and a Sweetgrass tom yesterday. I got 2 new pyrenees pups but they have a lot of growing to do.

My golden is pretty good at keeping predators out of the yard but we were on vacation for 3 days and had someone watching the house. He kept the dog in the house most of time. I'm afraid they may try to take on my goats and that would be just disgusting.

I agree with you. In the past I have had as many as 400+ birds at one time and if I coon were to make a raid it would never fail that it would get my favorite birds..every stinking time and without fail. It is almost like predators stake out your coop to see which birds you pay more attention to then come back when you are gone.

Sorry for your loss...I think we have all been in your shoes.

Back
Top Bottom