Why do they hate my run??? Help

rubysmom

Songster
11 Years
Mar 28, 2008
Oregon
Okay so I have 3 chickens. A 6x8 coop and a 21x7 ft run. The run has sand for easy cleaning. My chickens hate the run. They pace, squwacklike crazy and even peck each other when they're in the run for even a short period and god forbid you should leave them locked up in the coop too long in the am. They never have a single problem when they are out in the yard.
Are they just spoiled? I let them out to free range, but I only have 1/4 acre and I also have dogs that need to go out so they can't be out ALL day.
Is my run too boring for them because of the sand or are they just trying to take advantage of me?
wink.png
What does everyone else put in their runs?

Thanks
Claudia

Try bringing some grass clippings, leaves, feed and fresh water in for them. They probably see grass outside and want to it. You could get a row of sod or two for $1.99 each and plant them in there. Worms will interest them too in a pinch. Also make sure part is shaded for them to escape the sun. If there are colorful plants outside, share a bit inside with them too. Just leave them in there and lock the door, In the end you're boss, not them so they will eventually get over it if you make it comfortable for them.

Regarding you being too late to take them out of the coop that is only normal. They are probably hot, thirsty and hungry in there and wondering where mama is to feed them and let them at the fesh air. Mine do the same. I like to open the coop between 6:30 and 7:30 am before it gets too hot in there. Make sure there is ample ventillation in there and maybe give them some greens to carry them thru the night in there if you are going to sleep in late.

Good luck

Last edited:
I agree that it just sound like they need a reason to be interested in what's in there. Make the the ONLY place they get treats and eventually they'll associate it with getting treats and being a more interesting place.

I love the idea of getting some sod. Think I may do that for my own run when I get a few bucks.

Thanks guys!
I love the sod idea. Should I actually plant it? How long do you think it would last? They do have food and water in the coop and the run. They also love digging in the bark in the yard so maybe I could put some pine bark in the back of the run for digging around in.

In the coop they have two big windows, open in the summer, and I usually let them out between 6:30- 7:30 also. Some mornings that's fine but other mornings they are up at 5:30?

Ours also have patio furniture in their run.
lol.png

I gave them our old resin table and a couple of chairs. They like to perch on top and nap underneath. They also have a tree stump in there to climb on. Plus they have a dustbath in there.

We still have vegetation in most of it, because they usually free range, so if they're locked up they have something to nibble on.

You can also plant garden flats or pots of grass or greens for them, to put in there. That way you can rotate them out, if they get too much lovin' from the girls. Or just toss in some sort of treats.

These are great ideas! I'm going to plant some stuff in there I think. Since they are free ranging a lot of the time it might hang in there okay for a while and then I can just replant.

I do have a variety of perches at different heights in there but no patio furniture. Maybe a chair might be just what they're missing
big_smile.png

Do most people have sand in the run? Wood chips? Straw? I did have straw but it kept getting wet and I heard that was bad?

I thought my chicken were spoiled with their run area having an old latter on half a barrel, brush pile, an area for us to dig up earth and an old tractor tire filled with sand (use to be daughters sand box) Im glad the chickens dont know about furniture in others runs lol

Last edited:
My chickens seem to like thier run but they have ruined the ground it is like concrete. They have heavy branches in there for perching and a ladder and all the water and thats were they eat. However Im wondering what I can do about a dust bath. they don't even have anything to scrach around in unless I put lawn clipping in there and corn husks. It's very very windy here and anything that gets put in there just blows away, Im thinking of putting some of that camo netting leafty hunters stuff around the outside of the run to keep the wind and sun down. maybe an old tire with sand will do good for a dust bathtub??

Back
Top Bottom