Why do we ( bators ) set our eggs point down? Hens sure don't.

I've never used an RCOM, if it lets you put the eggs in either orientation, I'd put them on their side (small end slightly lower, as pointed out in other posts). If you need to squeeze more in, then vertical might let you do that.

I'm interested in knowing you opinion about the RCOM, what you like and don't like. I just bought a larger, cabinet incubator (GQF Sportsman). I looked at the RCOM's but they are not well known yet, and so I bought what I knew would do a good job and last a long time. I'm planning to hatch some turkey eggs (assuming the hens lay for us) and want to incubate them on their side.

I've never used an RCOM, if it lets you put the eggs in either orientation, I'd put them on their side (small end slightly lower, as pointed out in other posts). If you need to squeeze more in, then vertical might let you do that.

I'm interested in knowing you opinion about the RCOM, what you like and don't like. I just bought a larger, cabinet incubator (GQF Sportsman). I looked at the RCOM's but they are not well known yet, and so I bought what I knew would do a good job and last a long time. I'm planning to hatch some turkey eggs (assuming the hens lay for us) and want to incubate them on their side.

I have only had my Rcom for about 5 months now with only about 4 hatches done in it.
I find that is a little plastic, easy to break if your not careful and when it come to cleaning time, quite irritating. It has many little ledges, cracks and ares in which pieces of egg and chick dander get caught.

It is very good at keeping the temp, I honestly don't think it has ever moved from 37.5 ( unless I made it ). I thought it might have been broken at one stage it was so still.lol.
I can't go off my hatches to give a good hatch rating on it. It doesn't seem to have any cold spots.
Everything is automatic, even the external pump system. The pump is great, you can even change the rate that it pumps. But as I said before it's all auto so it takes care off it's self. Everything ( humid reader/ temp reader ) is all easily accessible so replacements should be easy ( I haven't had to do one yet ).
I have 2 friends who have had them for over 5 years and they are still running strong.

All in all I would recommend it but as I have said before I haven't had it long and it is my first one
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom