Why Do We Even Have Ramps?

...for the fat @$$ Cornish X. ;) Apologies for language.

Seriously, apart from my ducks, who sleep on the ground, the CornishX, and my littles who would still be in most people's brooder/grow out boxes, none of my birds have any difficulty going from the ground to the 3' level of the hen house without a ramp. I'm not sure why they are so popular.

Tradition?

When I realized they could hop up on the ladder to get into the coop, I got lazy on my ramp 😂

it’s the ladder to the left which is usually left closer to the coop door...

Attachments

• 9AF0C417-E01B-49F1-889F-739093404955.jpeg
    9AF0C417-E01B-49F1-889F-739093404955.jpeg
    808.6 KB · Views: 13
I would think it would only be an issue if you have a broody hen hatch some babies in there. Other wise yah get rid of it!
This is what I thought too, then the chick i hatched recently woulnt even understand the ramp, and would jump through the windows right next to it. they would fit through the holes in the chicken wire until I closed them up. then they would use the ramp haha

This is what I thought too, then the chick i hatched recently woulnt even understand the ramp, and would jump through the windows right next to it. they would fit through the holes in the chicken wire until I closed them up. then they would use the ramp haha
That’s awesome! Sassy!!!

I'm late to this thread but I'll chime in. Why do you need a ramp?

If you have chickens that can't fly like silkies, frizzles, Cornish X, or really young baby chicks and the opening is too high for them to jump you need to help them. I've seen 2-week-old chicks fly up really well when a broody hen told them to so with them it's a matter of want to instead of can after a short time. Inside the coop if it's so tight the chickens can't spread their wings to fly up or down to get to nests or roosts ramps might help.

That's the only reasons I can think of. I agree steps take up less space and are easy for them to use. Whether you let them fly up and down, have steps, or a ramp they have to want to use it or they won't.

Why do people automatically build ramps? In my opinion they don't know any better. It's what they see when they come on this forum. If you read many of the posts ramps are assumed. How many people on here talk about steps or just letting them fly?

Sort of the same topic, why do people automatically put perches in front of nests? With some nests it's a good idea but I don't. My full-sized-fowl chickens don't have any problems flying up 3 to 4 feet and go straight in my nests. They land on the 3/8" edge of plywood I used for my nests and just step on in through the 8" tall and 8" wide openings. I think people underestimate their chickens a lot.

Back
Top Bottom